BUYING A DIGITAL SLR CAMERA

Based on what you said, almost definately go digital with either nikon or canon. Simply because you will have the widest lens choices in the long run. Find a cheap body and get it (I'd recommend ebay or similar, since you don't need new if you aren't going to keep it). Spend the money you save on buying high-quality lenses. Then when you are comfortable enough to move on, you're all set with your lenses, and haven't spent a lot on your body so you won't lose too much when you go to resell it, and can afford to get the camera you will stick with for the long haul.

As far as learning goes, digital, digital, digital. I've shot maybe 10 rolls of film in my life, and I didn't learn a thing with them, save maybe how to use the light meter. With digital it records all your settings when you press the shutter right into the picture. You don't have to guess, or write anything down. Back on your computer you can see the data for each and every shot and can see where you went wrong quickly and easily. For a learning tool it's hard to beat. About the only exception to this would be if you had a darkroom at your beck and call.

DocFrankenstein said:
Sounds like photography is something you want to do a LOT in the future, sinse you seem to want a complete "system"

Yes. It is something i'd like to persue. I'd love to get to the point to have enough income and assets in my life to persue photography full time. Or if i gather enough resources and skill, make that my job full time.

Which is why i'd rather start with something full, instead of than getting a 'crapbox' and practising.

Cheers again everyone for your input. Learning more every day. :)

Alls i need now is to find which camera i need. The idea of not spending so much on the body at first, and gathering lenses sounded smart.

Ant said:
There's three cameras I'd recommend you look at: The Canon EOS 300D, the Canon 350XT or the Nikon D50.

This Canon 300D comes up an awful lot in my searches. And also its follower the 350D. Although i think the 300D would be the better choice, especially because a follower should make it cheaper. :p

I've talked to a few places.. The 300D has stopped being sold. Be lucky to find one somewhere abouts.. But the 350D costs about $1500.. *loosens collar*

Sheesh. I may open up a 'please help me get a camera' fund. :irked:

Don't mean to continually be talking to myself here..

I won't be purchasing the camera for at least another half a year or so, but i think i'll be looking at the Canon 350D.

Wise choice? Any recommendations? Anything else i should know? Cheers all.

I said half a year. Which really only comes down to a few months.

DocFrank, i live in Australia.

As a Nikon user, I am curious as to what helped you decide to buy Canon. Just for my own edification.

I just bought the D50, i was in your same situation. I got the D50 because the build quality and high ISO noise is better than both the rebels (according to DP review). Also it takes SD cards and coming from P&S that was important to me. I would have probably gotten the rebel xt except for that tiny grip on it and the cheap plastic all over it. If im going to spend 800 on a camera I want it to feel solid. Just my 2 cents...

skiboarder72 said:
I would have probably gotten the rebel xt except for that tiny grip on it and the cheap plastic all over it. If im going to spend 800 on a camera I want it to feel solid. Just my 2 cents...

I agree. I got to handle a 350XT a few months ago and it felt like a cheap plastic toy compared to my D70. Still, lots of people like the small size and light weight, so it's all personal preference really, and all those DSLRs produce great images anyway.

It's a shame canon can't make a decent cover. How much would a piece of magnesium cost them? 10 bucks?

That's one of the major reasons I see for going nikon.

jstuedle said:
As a Nikon user, I am curious as to what helped you decide to buy Canon. Just for my own edification.

I'm not really sure. I more than likely won't end up with what i'd rather. Like i said at the beginning of the thread, i don't know much about this sort of thing, hence the thread.

I guess it was advertising and reputation that lead me toward Canon. Why, is Nikon better? :p

Like i say, i'm not to educated on all this camera stuff, which is why i need you guys to help! Cheers for everything.

I think in the end i'll look at getting some sort of cheap dslr body, and a couple of good lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back