Buying a new camera

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by 4tografer, Jan 6, 2009.

1. 4tografer

4tografer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone,

I would like to buy a new digital camera but don't seem to be able to find one that meets my criteria.

I hope you can help me find a camera that:
    * uses an SD card (hopefully in its own compartment, instead of being under the same lid as the batteries)
    * comes with its own charger
    * records movies in mpg
    * has a good zoom (5x & above)
    * is not too heavy or bulky
    * hopefully has a viewfinder, otherwise, a good screen, which lets you see an image clearly even on a bright sunny day

Looking forward to your suggestions!
    ~ Teri

2. 4tografer

4tografer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, looks like this is a tough one...
    Then can you, please, tell me which camera you have, and let me know which one of the criteria from the list it meets and which ones it doesn't.
    Thank you in advance!

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon G10

4. bs63366

bs63366 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon XSi fits all but, does not do movies, depends on the lens you have, and your definition of bulky lol.

Just a suggestion

5. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D90 does all that, except doesn't shoot movies in mpg and might be a bit on the pricey side.

6. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon G10

7. 4tografer

4tografer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks so much for your recommendations!

My definition of bulky: the one that I cannot carry with my everywhere without attracting too much attention to it. Compact enough to fit into my pocket.

After I got a chance to play with my friends' D80 and XS, I realized that I just need a very good point-and-shoot camera that takes sharp quality images. I am going to use it pretty much every day; take it with me whenever I travel or when I simply go to a party. I take pictures of nature, still objects, pets, people: anything and everything, indoors and outdoors!

I recently stumbled upon Lumix DMC-TZ5, which is pretty good except for its Quicktime format of the movies and the lack of a viewfinder... As I looked online for more info about TZ-5, I researched other camera models (mostly Canon and Nikon but also looked at Olympus and Fujifilm). :study:
    Canon PowerShot SD890IS does have a viewfinder and seems like a neat camera, although I am worried about its unusual power switch and its sturdiness problems (after all, it's going to be carried with me everywhere). It also has the batteries under the same lid as the card. So does PowerShot A1000, which aside from a few complaints about its slow(er) recharge and weaker flash seems to have a great reputation. :camera: Does anyone have experience with any of these models? Any feedback?

And, oh! Looks like the charger problem can be easily solved with Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargable Batteries w/ Charger. As long as the camera uses AA batteries, that is.

Well, these are my thoughts/findings so far.
    Looking forward to hearing from you!