Buying a new camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by B&W, Jan 12, 2010.

1. B&W

B&W TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and not sure if this is put in the right section but here it goes... I am currently using a canon powershot sd630 and looking to get a professional camera, or more professional than what I'm using now. I'm taking outdoor photos but only have a $1000 limit for a camera. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. B&W

B&W TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    bump

3. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am not sure how long you have been taking photos but if you wanna save a couple bucks and stick with canon, the XSI would probably be just fine. You could buy just the body and get a nice lens with your leftover cash. I am assuming you want to upgrade to a DSLR. If you want to stick with P&S, the G series is awesome.

4. SLRJoe

SLRJoe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thebeatles is right. If you do think about going down the SLR route, it's not just the camera, but you also need to buy a decent lens to go with it. The main two brands are Canon and Nikon, and both make excellent slr cameras.
    I'd recommend getting a second hand slr, the Canon XSI (EOS 450D) would be a good one, or the nikon equivalent would be something like the Nikon D80.

Then get yourself a nice lens, this depends mostly upon what kind of photos d'you want to take. If it's landscape photography, a nice wide-angle lens, e.g. Canon 18-135mm.
    If it's nature photography, maybe the Canon 70-300mm IS.

Hope this helps

Joe

5. B&W

B&W TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you very much for the input and advice on the cameras. I've always been a canon fan and most likely going to get the xsi. Thanks again for the information on not only the cameras but the lenses!