Buying a new DSLR

Ashyo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently own a Nikon coolpix L100 DSLR and would like to upgrade to a nicer DSLR with interchangeable lenses and a viewfinder. I am a loyal Nikon user but at my University I have the ability to check out multiple Canon lenses for free.

I am looking at the Nikon D90 and Nikon D3000 models as well as the Canon EOS T3 model. If anyone has any suggestions for either brand or model they would be welcomed. Thank you!

From what you listed, I would go with the D90 over the 3000. It has a solid reputation.

I went from a D40 to the D7000. I considered the D90, but had the cash for the 7000.
But not enough for the full frame D700.

Thank you! I have been lusting over the D90 for about a year now and only started looking at the D3000 because it was more affordable. You are reinforcing my beliefs that the D90 is a better camera, which I thank you for.

Do you think it's worth it to still get a Nikon over a Canon even if have to buy all my own lenses? (I am a stereotypical starving college student)

I haven't looked much at the D5000 model, what are the specs? It looks like it takes great motion photos and the color is really clean and crisp, just how I like it.

I haven't looked much at the D5000 model, what are the specs? It looks like it takes great motion photos and the color is really clean and crisp, just how I like it.

google the D5100, thats this year's version of it.

my pics are proof you don't need an elaborate cam to take half-decent pics :)

Word. It is a really beautiful model, I thank you very much for introducing it to me. I think it may usurp the position that the D3000 currently has.

Word. It is a really beautiful model, I thank you very much for introducing it to me. I think it may usurp the position that the D3000 currently has.

you're welcome, just another option
bigthumb.gif

What do you mean by checking out canon lenses? Keep in mind that the lens is much more important than the body. In a few years the body will be out-dated. An entry level camera with a pro lens will perform better than a pro body and entry level lens. It isn't really possible to make a good choice between canon and nikon, in the end they will both perform roughly the same. If you don't care about taking videos the EOS rebel XS is the camera I have and i haven't been disappointed by the quality yet. I got it for 300$ CAD with 2 lenses used. You can check out my photos in this gallery if you want. joshonator12's deviantART gallery

What do you mean by checking out canon lenses?

I am a student of the School of Journalism at my University and the department has thousands of dollars worth of equipment that students in the major are allowed to check out to go out and conduct interviews, get b-roll and shoot still for our various assignments and projects. Among this equipment is over nine different Canon lenses. You see my deliema of course, I am a loyal Nikon consumer and that is the model that I am most comfortable with but if I get a Canon all I would need to get is a basic 18.5mm lens and then check out other lenses as the need arises, I could not do this with the Nikon....

Your photos are beautiful also. It certainly proves that Canon's can hold their own. I also do not care about taking video, I have other pieces of equipment to do that with. So would you be recommending the Canon over the Nikon then? The EOS models are certainly more within my price range...

I really appreciate the help!

If the J-school's pool equipment is actually available most of the time, then it might be worth it just to buy a Canon so as to have a body you can use with their lenses. The lens is not more important than the camera body--both are equally important. Since you are young, you cannot have built up a huge,long list of preferences or habits or opinions about Nikon versus Canon bodies, so it probably will not matter which brand you choose. It depends on how intimate and connected you want to be with the camera.
if you just want to be an end-user, then any camera will be fine. If you want to feel a connection to your camera, then you need to make your own decision,and buy whichever camera YOU feel is right, and not let the J-school's pool gear make the decision for you.

If I were you I would get a canon tbh. Not because canon is better or anything but because you will have an chance to experience using different lenses and learn what you like best. If you get a nikon you may miss this opportunity by getting stuck with a kit lens. And if you don't like it that much you could always sell the camera and switch to Nikon without losing very much.

But if there is something you don't like about canon you should probably go with Nikon as small things can drive you crazy in the long run.

Uh....Can you also check out Canon camera bodies to use the Canon lenses on?

If so, get the Nikon of your choice, or get a Canon now, and sell it when you graduate so you can get a Nikon.

Most reactions

Back