buying a new lens..in need of alittle help

jarhead2042

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
getting ready to order me a new lens for my d3000 and have it narrowed down to 2 different lenses

1. tamron 179d af 28-105mm f/4-5.6

2. sigma 18-200mm f/ 3.5-6.5

main question is what one would be better, mostly going to use the lens for wildlife, landscapes, and racing..any input would be great, since i dont want to waste my money on something that will bite the dust or just be total crap in the end

I have the Sigma 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 and love the thing for an all around walk around lens, awesome lens.

I wouldn't buy either of those lenses for what you want to shot, they are jack of all trades master of none

I disagree, for what he wants to shoot the Sigma I know for sure would be awesome, the racing would be dependent on the lighting but other than that he'd have no problems shooting wildlife and landscapes.

I disagree, for what he wants to shoot the Sigma I know for sure would be awesome, the racing would be dependent on the lighting but other than that he'd have no problems shooting wildlife and landscapes.

Nowhere near long enough for wildlife

:thumbup: The largest lens I have is 300 and it doesn't get me anywhere near where I'd like to be... a 600 would be sweet if I was rich!

^^^pics or you were shooting stuffed animals. haha jk

But I agree with gary on this one. Sure any lens would be able to capture those images fine, if you want crisp detailed pics, you gotta get a couple of lenses. I have learned that there is not one lens out there that can do everything. If that was the case all the lens companies would be out of business.

Good luck.

*edit* whoops too slow. Comment is meant for PhotoXopher

I have photos that prove otherwise ;)
Of course there's a difference between shooting little birds on a feeder in your yard compared to a moose or a bear that you don't want to get cozy with...

Nah, little things too :lol:

4314270470_49e60090eb_b.jpg

And birds...

4313533949_4ebb1f6f09.jpg

4313533931_9b87fc0237.jpg

Squirrels, rabbits, hawks, deer... even a hummingbird.

Last edited:
As the above posters stated above, If you go cheap on lenses that require a long focal length you will regret it later, I promise. Like 3 years ago I had the Nikkor 70-300mm, when I bought it I thought is was great. As I got better I realized that is was a piece of garbage and a waste of $500. It could never produce a sharp image ever. Lenses are something you want to spend most of your money on, since every detail of the image travels through there.

thanks for the info guys...but i ll probly lean towards the sigma after seeing his pics....i live on a farm in the middle of ohio...just deer, beaver, and other small animals...no moose or bears lol, plus i have a disabled daughter so i cant spend 800 bucks on a really good lens right now

I would recommend the Sigma 18-250mm too. Unfortunately 250mm is going to be too small for most wildlife photography unless you are happy with tiny images greatly blown up and cropped. That will result in an image of lesser quality and resolution. However all is not lost. If you can afford it after the lens purchase, buy a Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x. It's under $200 at ebay. That will bump up the 250mm to 350mm. There is also a Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 2x which will bump up the 250mm to 500mm. There will be some loss of image quality however that's not normallly noticeable with the 1.4x teleconverter. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back