Buying a TLR?

J.Kendall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have a suggestion of what brands I should be looking at? Anyone who wants to try to dissuade me from buying one? Suggestions/advice would be awesome.

My only experience with a TLR is my Mamiya C330, and I love it. It's built like a tank, has interchangeable lenses, bellows for close up work, and delivers the goods tack sharp and dead on.

For the low end, the Minolta Autocord is just fine. itll take the 120 and 220 film, and hase excellent optics.
The mamiya C3-C330 have interchangable lenses, but are not in large variations. (They only have a few lens options)
Teh Chinese made Seagull is fair, but watch the light seals.
Russian lubitels are FAIR!!!! Built like a tank, and will physically last for ever.
Mechanics are poor- good depending. If anything, you can defend yourself with it as it will punch through a 6 inch brick wall in cases of last resort....:lmao:

If you go high end.. play w/ a Rolli. (if you like BMW's of TLR's that is.

One think with TLR's however... once you use a Med. format, youll want to go all the way..
Unlike most other Med. Format cameras, the TLRs ARE NOT digital capable. They do not accept various backs.

But most of all with ALL used TLR's look at both lenses for fungus. Replacement glass is available but usually at a primium. It will also require the use of special tools if it needs to be replace. So Caviet Empor.
Outside of that have fun.

The question is "why"?
I have used (not by choice) professionally and they were a constant source of irritation. Awkward, parallax problems, limitations on lenses, seeing image on bright days near impossible, heavy.
About the only advantage is that, these days, they should be very-very inexpensive.
If I still had one, I would be willing to send to you for postage only.

My school actually has a Rolleicord, and I've messed around with that a little, and thats the reason that I really want to buy one. Are Rolleicords anything like a Rolleiflex? Aren't they made by the same company?

And I was just looking at a Hasselblad 503CW...a bit pricey, even used, and i know that its not a TLR, but I'm mostly looking at going medium format.

Last edited:
My school actually has a Rolleicord, and I've messed around with that a little, and thats the reason that I really want to buy one. Are Rolleicords anything like a Rolleiflex? Aren't they made by the same company?

And I was just looking at a Hasselblad 503CW...a bit pricey, even used, and i know that its not a TLR, but I'm mostly looking at going medium format.

Med. format, Hass. or Bronica, both tops.

Rolleicord is the "consumer version" of the Rolleiflex, and yes both are Rollei's. IOW if you like the Rolleicord you "won't be upset" with a Rolleiflex.

Despite Rifleman's comments, TLR is a good way to go and like any system (35mm, TLR, MF SLR, LF, digital etc.) has its pluses and minuses.

Dave

Rolleiflex/Cord, Yashica, and Mamiya TLRs are all excellent
cameras. There are other fine TLRs too but these are the
the most common brands.

The Mamiya offers a big plus: interchangeable lenses.

As with any vintage camera, make sure it is in good working
condition before buying.

Rolleicord is the "consumer version" of the Rolleiflex, and yes both are Rollei's. IOW if you like the Rolleicord you "won't be upset" with a Rolleiflex.

Despite Rifleman's comments, TLR is a good way to go and like any system (35mm, TLR, MF SLR, LF, digital etc.) has its pluses and minuses.

Dave

That's fine, differences of opinion are what make the world go round and I respect yours as much as I disagree.
I like to shoot old style guns (circa. 1776) but the objectives with photography are usually much different. Latest developments are the wisest choice. TLR fell by the wayside for a reason.

That's fine, differences of opinion are what make the world go round and I respect yours as much as I disagree.
I like to shoot old style guns (circa. 1776) but the objectives with photography are usually much different. Latest developments are the wisest choice. TLR fell by the wayside for a reason.

TLRs fell by the wayside?

Rollei TLRs have been manufactured up to this year (2009).
Mamiya TLRs were made up to the mid 1990s.
Some TLRs are still manufactured, e.g., the Seagull.

TLR's are a blast and they take GREAT pictures. Go with the Mamiya C330f. You will just wish you had another lens for your camera if you buy something else.

Seagulls are disposable. Made in China. They are Dirt Cheap for a reason.

Craig

Seagulls are disposable. Made in China. They are Dirt Cheap for a reason.

Craig

I mentioned the Seagull, not because I recommended it, but as part
of a response to the comment that TLRs had "fallen by the wayside."
It was mentioned as one example within the context of a list of recently-
made TLRs. My inclusion of the Seagull had nothing to do with a
recommendation of its quality. I've never owned a Seagull but I
know that it does have a fan base despite its manufacturing standards
(or lack thereof).

But, in any case, lots of cheap cameras are fun to own and use and
the Seagulls are still being manufactured for a reason.

TLRs fell by the wayside?

Rollei TLRs have been manufactured up to this year (2009).
Mamiya TLRs were made up to the mid 1990s.
Some TLRs are still manufactured, e.g., the Seagull.

Just this afternoon I saw a Royal Enfield motorcycle. The design hasn't changed since 1965. They still make them that way. Doesn't mean it is a good thing. A new one is still a 1965 motorcycle made yesterday.
Depends on your objectives.
I know those 1990 Mamys, virtually unchanged for decades. I think I garbaged mine about 15 years ago.

Just this afternoon I saw a Royal Enfield motorcycle. The design hasn't changed since 1965. They still make them that way. Doesn't mean it is a good thing.

Actually, it does mean it's a good thing. :lol:

A new one is still a 1965 motorcycle made yesterday.
I know those 1990 Mamys, virtually unchanged for decades. I think I garbaged mine about 15 years ago.
Really? Got any Leicas in your garbage?

But, in any case, I'm glad there are people out there who
don't value old things. That's why I love to go to yard sales
and swap meets, etc. So, keep up that attitude and tell all
your friends too! Old cameras? Yuck! Just give 'em away! ;)

This is of course always true, but I don't know why objectives in photography necessarily must change with time.

Not looking to get into an argument, certainly to each their own, but I do find it odd to dissuade someone from a TLR without a specific reason (most of the ones you gave don't apply to all TLR's). Which of J.Kendall's objectives would they be unsuitable for?

Dave

Most reactions

Back