Buying a used camera

andrew99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ajwalker.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have you ever bought a used camera, and what has been your experience? What are things to look out for (common problems) when buying used? What is the life expectancy of a typical DSLR? How many shutter releases? Also what is the first thing that usually dies on DSLR's? I know on my P&S's, it was always the zoom motor. And what about used lenses? Is it safe to buy those?

I've bought several used lenses and one used DSLR. No problems.

SLR cameras have a rated shutter life...but that rating is only an average...some last longer and some don't last that long. I believe a shutter can be replaced for a couple hundred dollars.

Other than the shutter wearing out, I don't know what else would go wrong with a DSLR. Most of the ones that I've heard about dieing, have been from drops or other accidents.

As for lenses, moisture can cause mold to grow in them, dirt & grit can get into the focus or zoom rings or gears. Usually, a broken lens is due to damage from being dropped.

So when buying used, I'd check for any dents or dings that look like they could be from being dropped.

Also, it's probably best to buy from someone or somewhere that you trust or that has some protection (Paypal/Ebay etc).

Craigslist is a good idea if you can meet in person.

Most reactions

Back