Buying a wide angle? Read first...

I think the only person who can asses whether or not you're missing a lens in your bag is you

Agreed, but I love my 70-200 f/2.8L and would recommend that lens as one to shoot portraits on with a full framer to anyone. Can't imaging not having it you know??? The nifty fifty too shoot we all know that things a steal for crying out loud.

Definitely, i love my 80-200 and 50 but i was saying that in response to this:

"Does anyone have any advice for me??????? What lenses am I missing in my lineup???"

I like wide angle but till the point where the distortion starts. Anything beyond that I am not interested.
I can only view the 15mm one and that is not going to do that for me(though I got a crop sensor body and that 15mm will be like 24mm on my camera and I think it is pretty much the border line where you start seeing some distortion). I would like to see the others if you can post.

OK re-posted with hosting on flickr! Man this sucks want you all to compare, let me know if it still don't work I can see them all on my end... I agree, I think the 15mm is a very agressive wide angle, I shoot a lot of stunt bikers busting tricks so this may be great for it, however outside of that, seems like I would shelf the lens a lot. The L 17-40 f/4L is my favorite right now, the 17mm is super wide and goes in tigher to 40, can't go wrong! Price was cheap too well under 1000. I am anxious to see the 20-35mm f/2.8L in low light though...

I think the only person who can asses whether or not you're missing a lens in your bag is you

Agreed, but I love my 70-200 f/2.8L and would recommend that lens as one to shoot portraits on with a full framer to anyone. Can't imaging not having it you know??? The nifty fifty too shoot we all know that things a steal for crying out loud.

Definitely, i love my 80-200 and 50 but i was saying that in response to this:

"Does anyone have any advice for me??????? What lenses am I missing in my lineup???"

80-200? Sounds like the f/2.8 Nikkor? That's a clean lens...

80-200? Sounds like the f/2.8 Nikkor? That's a clean lens...

Nope, it a discontinued Canon lens called the "Magic Drainpipe". ;)

Naw, he was right, it's the Nikkor. And yes, it's a clean lens to say the least

Nice, been looking at picking up a Nikon DSLR too, but gotta get my Canons making serious money before I invest in a Nikon setup but trust me I will have been in good time. When the time comes that will be a lens I would pick up.

Wide is Wide!!!

I am a noob and wish I would have done a little more homework before trying to find the perfect wide angle instead of buying them all at once so if your a noob and have questions about any of the lenses listed in this review please hit me up. Below are pics taken at distance from the subject with same Canon 5D Mark II, keep in mind on a cropped sensor camera these pics will not appear nearly as wide. let me show you the ranges of each, the primes are fixed of course but I shot the 2 zooms at their widest points. I hope this helps someone make their choice a little easier instead of outright buying all of them at once, let me save you some trouble. Please if you have any questions on performance of each and your thinking about picking one up hit me up, I can tell you how I like them. I am not selling any of them just trying to help a fellow photog out...

4302206933_34dac6f392_b.jpg

EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, paid $649.00 @ BHphotovideo.com

4302939238_7dcfb1fff0_b.jpg

EF 17-40mm f/4L, paid $750.00 @ BHphotovideo.com

4302951306_4c58f33839_b.jpg

EF 20mm f/2.8 USM "Super Wide Angle," paid $469.95 @ BHphotovideo.com

4302195339_b24b3ca412_b.jpg

EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM paid $409.95 @ BHphotovideo.com

Does anyone have any advice for me??????? What lenses am I missing in my lineup???

THE PICS WORKIN' NOW??? Darn pics! Let me know if you all can't see them still.

If i were looking for a wide lens these 4 shots would put me off buying any of these lenses looking at the quality of the shots, good job i know how these lenses can perform

If i were looking for a wide lens these 4 shots would put me off buying any of these lenses looking at the quality of the shots, good job i know how these lenses can perform

Thanks,
I tried shooting them all at same f stop and distance, I was mainly trying to show edge distortion not a perfectly composed shot! LOL however the 17-40 f/4L is really growing on me. I think I over bought and may be sending 1 or 2 lenses back... :er:

So we need to remember that the lower the MM number of the lens, the wider it goes? So having a 17-40 at its wide end is...wider than a 20-35 at its wide end which is wider than the 28-135 at its wide end.

The 17-40 is a great lens... the 16-35 is also a great lens AND has a wider aperture.

Have you thought about going any wider? A Sigma 10-20mm for example. It is not a fisheye lens so you wont get that round distortion that you are getting with your 15mm.

I had been comparing wide angle lenses and I think after viewing your thread I am definitely leaning away from a fisheye. Cool comparison thread thanks for taking the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back