Buying a wide angle? Read first...

Have you thought about going any wider? A Sigma 10-20mm for example. It is not a fisheye lens so you wont get that round distortion that you are getting with your 15mm.

I had been comparing wide angle lenses and I think after viewing your thread I am definitely leaning away from a fisheye. Cool comparison thread thanks for taking the time.

If you are talking about the Sigma that I already have (peep the signature) the 10-20mm doesn't work well on my full frame body, I get tuns of vignetting even when trying to push through it... Love the lens but as you see in the post I am shooting on a 5D Mark II now. I am considering the Tamron B001 SPAF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II Zoom Lens For Canon D-SLR Cameras.

see link:
Tamron | B001 SPAF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II Zoom | B001C-700

My plan is to return 15mm Fisheye and 20mm USM and keep the 17-40mm f4L and the walk around 28-135 IS USM. I also have a 20-35 f/2.8L on the way so I think the 16-35mm f/2.8L will have to wait for a few months! LOL I will keep you guys posted...

Nice lenses - I am personally quite a fan of the fisheye, I really want to get one for myself though it's not quite the same on a 40d crop body. Not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but as a comparison I'm posting a test pic I took with the EF 15mm fisheye on my 40d:

4249566101_e9555ff7a2.jpg

No prob! Hey looks more like my 17mm L there on my full frame... I like about that much distortion not much more... Nice pic...

Nooo... I wouldn't keep that 28-135. Seriously... if you are aiming at making sure your gear is top of the line for what you are doing, that 28-135 is dragging you down. Its not a pro lens. Look at the 24-105 L lens, a great walkaround lens with a similar focal range to your 28-135, but with an image quality that is not comparable.

Drop that 50 1.8, Sigma 70-300, 28-90 and 18-55 and use that extra cash to get the 24-105 as a walkaround lens

Nooo... I wouldn't keep that 28-135. Seriously... if you are aiming at making sure your gear is top of the line for what you are doing, that 28-135 is dragging you down. Its not a pro lens. Look at the 24-105 L lens, a great walkaround lens with a similar focal range to your 28-135, but with an image quality that is not comparable.

Drop that 50 1.8, Sigma 70-300, 28-90 and 18-55 and use that extra cash to get the 24-105 as a walkaround lens

Good call, my head is spinning with so many purchases lately, you have mentioned most of my early either kit lenses or cheap lenses. I normally kick those down into my XTI bag. I have looked at the L your referring to and know its a sweet lens, however I am hoping to either pick it up used or wait just a bit longer to pick it up. The USM I have is a decent toss around lens that still does a decent job, but will end up in my toss around bag in the long run.

Good call, my head is spinning with so many purchases lately, you have mentioned most of my early either kit lenses or cheap lenses. I normally kick those down into my XTI bag. I have looked at the L your referring to and know its a sweet lens, however I am hoping to either pick it up used or wait just a bit longer to pick it up. The USM I have is a decent toss around lens that still does a decent job, but will end up in my toss around bag in the long run.

Why buy so much gear until you know what you need, if your shooting bands the 15mm fisheye is great for close up shots

Why buy so much gear until you know what you need, if your shooting bands the 15mm fisheye is great for close up shots

Why? because I expect to be shooting with my biz partner and this equipment will mostly work for us to share simultaneously and shoot with both 1D and 5D. Instead of buying two of the same lens I would rather have a verity. I am playing around with the 15mm and having fun... Decisions, decisions! LOL Maybe I will keep them all... I have never been a tight wad when it comes to spending on equipment and the lord has always blessed me with gigs and gigs bringing my money back ten fold, I just gotta make sure my knowledge is on point now.

Last edited:
nice! I think I might be able to come close to that with my 1D and 70-200 f/2.8L...

I think your WB is off, highlights are blown, composition is questionable, saturation is a bit much and your subject is uninteresting. Other than that, ........... :biggrin:

Are you missing a lens? Maybe a 35mm "standard wide-angle prime" ... would be good for general shooting, but only you can decide what you really need... Personally I'd be happy with 1 wide and 1 super-wide.

I can't see the pics now (work comp), but I can understand Alias purchasing nothing but the best stuff, for things he is serious about and making money off of. Good ****!

But I do have a question, you kept mentioning the 17-40 as one of your favorite lens. How much of a difference is it to the stock 18-55 stock lens?

Also, how do you like your 10-22? I plan to pick that one up next for landscape shots.

Most reactions

Back