Buying Camera today.... FUJI X100T vs. X Pro 2 vs XT1 or??? Help please

enthawizeguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I am new here so bare with me. I am getting back into photography and was gonna get a dslr and than realized I will never bring it with me because they are so big and found out about these cameras. I was set on the t1 or 100 t but found out the X PRO 2 is coming this week. How do those compare? I want to make sure I am making the right purchase as I do not buy things very often and do not want to upgrade for a few years hopefully.

I am interested in.

Street photography

Nature

People/Models.

What do you guys suggest? Am i going at this all wrong. I would like to purchase one today if the XPRO 2 is not something i should look into . I am open to all suggestions and advice. Thanks in advance.

- Ian

low light shooting would be great as i see my self taking lots of photos in dark places and outside.

Those three cameras are very different one from the other. Normally when someone has it down to a choice of three the choices are competitive (eg. Camry, Accord, Sonata). You're asking should you get a Harley, or a Lexus or a truck.

The 100T is a beautiful camera and basically the same sensor guts as the XT1. But the 100T has a fixed moderately wide lens. You can't change lenses to a different focal length. That's the Harley. That's great unless you have a spouse and two kids.

The XT1 is a systems camera with a full lineup of interchangeable lenses you can choose from. That's a huge difference.

We know the XP2 will be modeled on the XP1 and can assume the hybrid viewfinder -- again a big difference from the XT1's EVF. Fuji has been doing a pretty good job keeping the lid on the XP2. It's hard to choose when one item is an unknown. We're assuming a new sensor for the XP2 and that could make a big difference. The viewfinder makes the XP2 a specialty camera. You mentioned street and it's good for that, but it's not versatile -- what about nature macro or nature wildlife? You first mentioned a DSLR and then rejected size. The XP1 often surprises people when they first handle one. It's bigger and heavier than they assumed. Leaks about the XP2 suggest the same size and weight. If you considered the XT1 what about the XT10 or XE2, they're both smaller than the XP1 and XT1. You can put a 27mm f/2.8 on the XT10 and at least get into the same size category as the 100T. Then when you need it you can change lenses.

And then there's cost. That's a huge cost discrepancy between those three cameras. The 100T is pricey given it's a fixed lens camera but there's nothing else to buy because it's a fixed lens camera. Can you live without the flexibility of different focal length lenses? You mentioned nature as a subject, but with the 100T that's no Macro, no wildlife, no wide vistas.... People/models? Not with the 100T. That is not a "people/models" angle of view there. The 100T is again a specialty camera.

The Xt1 by the time you get a couple lenses puts you in another cost category and we have to assume the XP2 when newly released will up that another notch.

Joe

FYI if low light performance is important for you then full frame is where you should concentrate.
Consider the Sony A7RII which is blowing any other mirrorless camera out of the water pretty much in everything, only drawback is its limited lens line.

FYI if low light performance is important for you then full frame is where you should concentrate.
Consider the Sony A7RII which is blowing any other mirrorless camera out of the water pretty much in everything, only drawback is its limited lens line.
And better than most dslr's, lens are only limited it you want auto focus, manual focus there are thousands of lenses you can use more than any dslr and it is easier to manual focus than a dslr

Ian, the present sensor in the X100T/XP1/EX1/XT1 does quite well in low light, ISO 6400. Not as well as the newer FF Nikons or FF A7, but most hobbyists don't shoot high speed action in light less than ISO 6400. All three cameras you mentioned would do well in Street. I've been shooting Street for decades and most recently I've used the X100S, XP1 and Xt1 all successfully.

Using interchangeable lens cameras, except for extreme shooting (sports-action/low light/et al), I think your shooting style, experience and skill are more important than the hardware. I would wait until the XP2 is released until I purchase. One of Fuji's hallmark is their unique, non-Bayer, sensor. The new XP2 should be sporting a new sensor. I am presuming the new sensor will be 24mp and designed for greater/better low light IQ.

Joe has pretty much summarized and put into a nice perspective the differences between the three cameras you mentioned.

What are you shooting now and why are you looking at Fuji?

Well, actually Fuji simply "cheats" on ISO.

The same sensor that does nicely on Nikon from ISO 100 (base) to ISO 3200 does nicely for Fuji from ISO 200 (base) to ISO 6400. How did the base ISO magically change, anyway ?

Mind, since the definition of ISO is kinda vague, its not really cheating as such. But its a bit misleading.

OP:

You want a solution that lasts for years. You want to spend a LOT of money.

And yet you havent informed yourself and dont even know the X100t is a compact camera, i.e. not part of the Fuji X system.

And yet you are impressed by the newest shtick, the X-Pro2. You will never ever find a solution that last you for years if the newest set of features will keep impressing you.

Obviously we cant tell you more about the X-Pro2 than what the rumor mill tells us. And the rumor mill is in no way guaranteed to be accurate, either.

That said, the Fuji X system is a good choice. It has plenty of good lenses, and in fact Fuji seems to be getting only better with time - the new 35mm f2.0 WR and 16mm f1.4 WR seem to be optically completely awesome.

The cameras arent the fastest in autofocus, but many people consider them sufficient.

I think ALL current Fuji cameras can fulfill your demand "can keep me happy for years", but not if you keep wanting the newest features.

Personally, if I wanted to get into the Fuji X system right now, I'd go for the X-T10. Its 95% the same camera as the X-T1, except a bit worse EVF and no weathersealing and some other details, but for half the price.

Last edited:
@ Solarflare:

Since when, in recent years, has Nikon used a non-Bayer sensor in their commercially available cameras? I agree that Fuji appears to fudge when calculating ISO, but, as you mentioned the standards are vague.

A few years ago when the XP1 first came out, I did perform an unscientific, empirical comparison between Canon 1DsMKII, Canon 5D, Olympus E-M5, Minolta IV handheld light meter and a Fuji XP1. On a number of subjects, (including a gray card), and lighting conditions. The Fuji consistently read approximately 1/3 stop to a full stop higher than All the other cameras and light meter (depending on subject and lighting). All the other cameras and meter were in the same ball park but the Fuji's stood apart. Because the meter was consistently high, but not with a consistent measurement of high, (ala, always .5 of a stop high as an example), ... I wondered what does it all mean?

Since then, I really haven't cared to ponder what it all means as I've been using Fuji for 99.99% of what I shoot, (including sports/action). With the introduction of the Fijinon 100-400 ... It will probably jump to 100%. (I still have a complete FF system and a complete MFT system ... But I just like what I get with Fuji.

I think you need to take a couple days to think about your purchase. It sounds like you're still in the research phase.
There's no rush. Do your research and comparisons and make sure you're happy with your decisions.
Nobody on this forum can make YOU happy with what you bought.

You've received some good advice from a couple of happy Fuji owners, as well as some other advice from Fuji skeptics. it does seem like you're still not 100 percent well-informed--plus, there's still the matter of where Fuji is headed NEXT, with their upcoming generation of cameras. Buying an interchangeable lens camera means buying into a camera brand, a camera system.

I would personally wait for Fuji's next generation sensor to hit 24 million pixels, and then if things still look good, wade into the Fuji ecosystem.

I would say that maybe 65-70 percent of photography is utterly, totally, entirely NOT dependent on fine detail/resolution/acuity to any significant degree, and that pictures made in those types of situations could be made with ANY camera made since the 1950's, and the pictures would stand on their own, no matter the lens or camera or film or sensor or the degree of technical image quality the camera and lens brought to the table. I put the genres of reportage, street, social photography, lifestyle, and family photography in this segment--the picture is so,so,so much more important than the finest details, or the color, or the DxO Mark score,whatever.

Ya right now it's between the x1 with 35 mm lense of the Sony a7ii not the are with kit lense . I can't decide for the life of me .

Most reactions

Back