Buying Camera

chrisk121

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! I'm about to place my order on a Canon Rebel XT w/ kit lens and a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF card from B&H. Is there anything I need to know? Like I said before, I've never bought anything online. I'm paying with Mastercard.

1.If I wanted to insure it, what would I use for proof of purchase?
2.I live in Edmonton and am shipping with UPS Expedited. If anyone has used this shipping to Edmonton, how long did it take?
3.What do I do if the package doesn't come?
4.Where do I take the camera for warranty returns. On B&H it says you have to phone canon yourself. Is that true?

Thats all I can think of right now. I'll reply if I come up with more.

Thanks!

Hello everyone! I'm about to place my order on a Canon Rebel XT w/ kit lens and a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF card from B&H. Is there anything I need to know? Like I said before, I've never bought anything online. I'm paying with Mastercard.

1.If I wanted to insure it, what would I use for proof of purchase?
2.I live in Edmonton and am shipping with UPS Expedited. If anyone has used this shipping to Edmonton, how long did it take?
3.What do I do if the package doesn't come?
4.Where do I take the camera for warranty returns. On B&H it says you have to phone canon yourself. Is that true?

Thats all I can think of right now. I'll reply if I come up with more.

Thanks!

Buying anything online is like buying anything else... the only issue is you are dealing with a dealer from a long distance away.

1) You should receive a recept with your purchase.... just as you would with a local purchase
2) Thats between you and UPS.. calll UPS and ask how long it will take. Often shipping is guaranteed to arrive in a certain number of business days.
3) Call BH...
4) After the return policy runs out, you have to contact the manufacturer for warantee service. No difference with local purchases.. of course some local shops are more willing to work with you.

If you want a more personal "dealing" experience, you should just contact your local camera shop.

Good luck.. btw.. all these "business" questions are probably best directed towards the dealer over the phone rather than an internet forum.

Yeah i agree with what the above person said. When your dealing with a reliable source like B&H that a lot of people stand by you shouldnt have too much trouble with anything like missing packages though. Never a garuntee but you can feel pretty comfortable.

B&H is my #1 place to buy from. You won't have any worries with extremely rare exceptions. I have never had any, with many, many purchases.

Yeah, you should call B&H and place your order. They have a toll free number. You shouldn't have any problems with their service. They are pretty good in this respect. I have made several purchases from them in the past year (to my girlfriends dismay) with no problems. If you buy a US model camera/lens, Canon will warrant the item. Imported items will be warranted by B&H. Anytihing occurs within the return time, usually 2 weeks, you can call b&H and they will take care of it. I was even able to send back a couple of lenses to them for full credit since I was not satisfied with them. My only advice to you is maybe not to get the stock 18-55mm kit lens. You will be much happier with the 17-85 IS USM. My two cents.

OK, everything seems good. And the reason I'm buying from B&H is because I can't afford to buy locally right now, so I also cannot afford a better lens yet. I save over 200$ buying from the United States.

Most reactions

Back