Buying Cameras from Ebay??

AUZambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone,
After much research and asking around I'm gonna get a Nikon D80. I can go to Best Buy and get the body + 28-80mm lens for around $1200. I can go on Ebay and get the body, 28-80mm, 75-300mm, tripod, flash, 4gb card, wide angle lens, 3 filters, two cases, and cleaning kit for $1200.

Is it safe to buy a camera from ebay? The sellers all have solid ratings and everyone seems to be happy with their camera, but I'm wondering how they can sell it so cheap. I've heard places like Wal-Mart can sell electronics so cheap because they sell the ones that barely pass inspection tests. Could ebay be doing the same thing?

Here's the one I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D80-Digit...QQihZ003QQcategoryZ147174QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, you could do it, but I really don't know how useful some of that stuff is, especially the wide angle lens. If I bought it, i'd probably sell almost all of the the stuff (including at least one of the lenses and flash) and buy better lenses/gear with the money i earned.

EDIT: come to think of it, i'd sell of everything except the claning kit, SD card, and one of the cases. The lenses are junk, who knows what that 'wide angle' is like, The tripods are junk, I wouldn't even consider putting anything else other than a Nikon speedlight on my camera, the filters look pretty thick and are probably uncoated, and i'd check to see if the SD card is under Nikon's approved list.

I don't want to scare you, but today I saw on the news that selling stolen items on eBay is increasing every day.

You couldnt be more correct switch.The camera may of A+ quality but what about the rest of the stuff.

I bought stuff on Ebay had no problems. I also bought one camera lens from Cameta Cameras on Ebay and they are reliable and safe. They have a D80 combo with 2 lenses for around $900.

Thanks for the input. Also keep in mind that I'm nothing more than an aspiring, extremely amateur photographer. I've had absolutely no training in photography and all I know is what little bit I've researched on the net. I know all zoom lenses are not built the same, and by looking at the flash I figured it was a piece just to make the package look more complete.

How much would decent lenses run me?

If you e-mail the seller and get to know them you probably will do ok, Don't buy from sellers with hundreds of feedback. Try and buy from someone who is upgradeing and seems honest. If they don't respond to your e-mails, stay away.
Cosmo

I have purchased a couple lenses from Cameta Cameras and have had excellent results! If your going to purchase on Ebay do your research into the seller and read the auction/description completely!

Thanks for the input. Also keep in mind that I'm nothing more than an aspiring, extremely amateur photographer. I've had absolutely no training in photography and all I know is what little bit I've researched on the net. I know all zoom lenses are not built the same, and by looking at the flash I figured it was a piece just to make the package look more complete.
no worries, I feel like i'm in the same boat but the learning curve is not steep. you will learn alot quickly.

How much would decent lenses run me?
this is where you will decide how much photography means to you. look to spend $400-$1000 for a good lens. I bought one today for $500. this is an expensive hobby, no way around it. but I say its worth it, and many here will agree.

Hey Everyone,
After much research and asking around I'm gonna get a Nikon D80. I can go to Best Buy and get the body + 28-80mm lens for around $1200. I can go on Ebay and get the body, 28-80mm, 75-300mm, tripod, flash, 4gb card, wide angle lens, 3 filters, two cases, and cleaning kit for $1200.

Is it safe to buy a camera from ebay? The sellers all have solid ratings and everyone seems to be happy with their camera, but I'm wondering how they can sell it so cheap. I've heard places like Wal-Mart can sell electronics so cheap because they sell the ones that barely pass inspection tests. Could ebay be doing the same thing?

Here's the one I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D80-Digit...QQihZ003QQcategoryZ147174QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!
In my experience with eBay, I would avoid such "bargains" and such sellers. This one appears to be one of the more honest Brooklyn stores but not all that honest. Check out the "artist's rendition" of their store in the store details. They don't even dare put a real picture of the store.

I would not buy anything of value from a store with less than 99.5% positive feedback and not if they had excessive (more than 2-3) negative feedback per month. It just shows that they are having trouble meeting their promises or satisfying their customers.

Finally, it's pointless to buy a case full of junk when all you need is a camera and a lens. In all these bargain combo offers, the stuff offered as part of the deal is useless and will eventually get thrown away.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The thing that struck me off center right away is that they're selling a D80 body with 35mm lenses. Sure, they will work, but the 28-80 lens is not a wide angle lens on a D80. It is mostly useless as an all-around zoom.

The accessories are poopoo. You can get good deals on ebay if you know exactly what you're looking for. Otherwise, you're going to get taken.

The more I research the more I learn (kinda weird, huh??). I'm leaning towards maybe getting the body only on ebay, then getting the nikon 18-200 mm lens and a solid flash. I already have a case & tripod I'm using with my 35mm SLR, so I don't need those.

I think the body, 18-200, & flash would be sufficient for now. As I become more proficient in the photography world I can buy more accessories.

What's the general consensus on teleconverters? I saw a couple of 2x teleconverters that look like they'd come in handy...if they are generally worth the money, is there a certain brand I should stick with? I've seen them range in prices of $90 - $300. I know there's alot of variables thrown in there, but I was just wondering.

*Edit: looking at www.kenrockwell.com I see that teleconverters (at least in his opinion) can be sketchy, making focusing difficult as well as lighting. He generally discourages it...do y'all feel the same?

Just be smart on eBay. I just bought a $2,600 from a seller who had very few sales, but the few sales he did have were of equal value (other high-end camera gear.) Obviously check feedbacks, ratings, etc. Finally, consider buying from someone in the same country as you. It is MUCH easier for law enforcement to help if they represent both sides of the transaction.

In my observation and personal experience, a large percentage of out-of-country ebay auctions are scams. They know it is difficult to pursue legal action. I occasionally make an exception for our neighbors in Canada but I do so very carefully. With that said, a large number of items I've purchased over the past 10 years have been over ebay. No major problems thusfar.

Most reactions

Back