Buying Decision Canon EOS400D /NikonD80

seeraincoming

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I am from India; quite new to the field of photogrpahy, have used a point and shoot Olympus film camera...and others like SonyDSC H5...

Planning to buy a Digital SLR. After reading through several reviews i decided to choose between Canon EOS400D /NikonD80....and more or less zeroed in on CanonEOS400D...looking at the prices offered by "jjmehta". ..one of the leading photography equipment sellers in India.

I have interest in both landscape and macros immensely....so decided on the following combination...Would like to hear your views..

1)Canon EOS 400D
Digital SLR Camera (10.0 Megapixel)
with Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens +with 4GB CF plus UV Filter & V Bag
( I wanted to keep one Canon lens)
2)Tamron AF 18-200mm Di II XR LD f/3.8-6.3 [IF] Aspherical Macro
for Nikon , Canon Digital
3)Tamron AF 70-300mm Di f/4-5.6 MACRO 1:2
for Canon EOS ,Nikon AF-D ,

Please advise :

1)Is a 4GB CF card required?Will 1GB or 2GB do?
2) Is the lens combination good enough for my preferred nature of photography?

Look forward to your comments...

Cheers

This is just me, but I like to have less overlap in the focal length of my lenses, and prefer ones with less of a big range than the 18-200. My feeling is based on using the Tamron 18-200 for a while, and deciding to sell it back. At 18mm it had more distortion than I liked, and at 200mm it was a little soft. Less overlap means I feel less like I'm wasting money buying two lenses when I could just get one (like a 28-300 or 18-250) or buying two that have a narrower range but perhaps look better over their whole focal range than one of the two you mentioned. I have a 28-70 and a 70-300 to cover a similar range as you are thinking about. This combo works well for me.

Also, the size of the card is a personal choice. A 10MP image is something like 3-5MB/image in JPG mode (on high quality), and about 13ish MB in RAW. You can do the math to decide what you want. If it's me, I'd need several (at least 5) 1gb cards for even a modest shooting excursion. Usually I can fill up 4gb in an average day of shooting.

Personally, I prefer 4gb cards since I don't like messing around with swapping out cards. With me at least, I think the chances of losing a card are much greater than the chances of the card failing (since I am a complete idiot about losing stuff).

Thank you both for your comments, i thi nk regarding cards, i will go for the 4 Gb version .
I am still quite thoughtful regarding the lenses....hhhmmm...shall wait awhile more to decide!!!

Most reactions

Back