Buying DSLR, go new or used

ToddB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.autocrossforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was on B&H today and noticed that they have D80's new for $874 (body only, I already have a couple of lenses) or used for $774.

So my question is this...Is it worth the extra $100 to buy new or is used equipment from a reputable company a good deal?

I figure that if I save the $100 on the body, I could get a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 for $114 to augment my lens selection. (I already have a Tamron 28-105 and a Nikkor 70-300)

Me personally, I'd get the new one...but I'm just like that. A camera is a very personal thing to me, so I would not want one that has been used already. I don't know what they've done to it...(and it doesn't smell new...lol)
It could work out perfectly fine, but you could be purchasing a body with 50,000 shutter actuations that's about to fail...

It's up to you, but I'd say the new one is the best way to go...then just save...
It's better than replacing a dud body after a few months...

For only a $100 savings, I think you'd be better off buying new camera.

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought about the shutter life aspect.

New it is then. I can always save my pennies for the 50mm lens. ;)

For $100.00 go new.... You will get full waranty and a fresh camera why go with a used one. I can't believe how much ued cameras go for on ebay. You would think for the few $ they saved they would just buy new.

The funny thing Zin, is I can't even find a private party sale for any camera on eBay. Everything I've seen were businesses. But after reading about some people's experiences with some online retailers, I've decided to go with one that is trust worthy. Probably be buying from B&H or Adorama.

Nose through some of the camera forums (like this one). If you can find a private party sale, you'll be in a better position to bargain, and you'll be able to find out what the shutter count is.

I bought a Sony Alpha from a member here. I got a good deal on it, and I knew ahead of time how many photos had been taken with it.

Buying used isn't a bad thing with DSLR, you just have to know what you're getting into, and a $100 savings isn't worth buying a DSLR blind.

Most reactions

Back