Buying First Digital SLR?

Ok So to change the subject or advance it a little! What 1 or two lenses would yall start with??? I know what he told me but I want to see yall suggestions!

Going back to the first subject....

If I was going to look a cameras in the under 1000 range what should I look for!???? Getting away from the D300 So I could get it sooner? Or is the D300 worth me waiting a extra few months?
The D90.

Last edited:
I highly recommend that you get a 50mm prime lens with an apature of at least 1.8. Buy this one right away. It has several advantages, f 1.8 and 1.4 are very fast, you can shoot in pretty low light with a useable shutter speed. A prime lens cannot zoom and therefore it forces you to move your body to get the shot you want, this makes you think about composure rather than simply zooming in and shooting away. I think this is more important than it's large apature, as it makes you become a better photographer.

My 50mm f1.8 has quickly become my main lens both on my N80 and my D200. It basicly hasn't left my N80 since the day I got it. (I still shoot lots of film, hurray for Tri-X!)

I highly recommend that you get a 50mm prime lens with an apature of at least 1.8. Buy this one right away. It has several advantages, f 1.8 and 1.4 are very fast, you can shoot in pretty low light with a useable shutter speed.

Ok first question... Please tell me if I am right or wrong. Prime lens means it can not zoom?? Or is there another definition?

I highly recommend that you get a 50mm prime lens with an apature of at least 1.8. Buy this one right away. It has several advantages, f 1.8 and 1.4 are very fast, you can shoot in pretty low light with a useable shutter speed.

Ok first question... Please tell me if I am right or wrong. Prime lens means it can not zoom?? Or is there another definition?

Yes, prime means that it is a fixed focal length (i.e. no zoom). You zoom with your feet. Anything that has x-x (like 70-200) is a zoom. Anything that has only x (like 50mm, or 85mm, etc...) is a prime.

So I found a 50mm f1.8 Nikkor AutoFocus Lens for $150 or $90 used?

Is it worth the double price for the F1.4?

Yes and no. The f1.4 is a better lens, but honestly, as a noobie you will have a hard enough time nailing focus at f1.8....let alone f1.4. The f1.8 is a great lens on a budget. If money isn't as much as an issue, then the f1.4 is better.....it has slightly better IQ, better bokeh and better build quality.

The price on your 50mm f1.8 is high. B&H has it for 135 with free shipping (new).

Yeah I did find it today for 135 like you said so Thanks! I wish I would have read the post before all the searching I was doing.

So If I was looking to buy 2 Lenses and One is going to be a NIKKOR Prime lens F1.8
What should the second be!

I'd get the D90 and get more lens. No use in getting a tricked out body if you're not going to use all it's features most of the time. Good Lens Are Key!

That is what I keep hearing from everyone so you would think that I would take heed! LOL

I will say it now!!!

I AM IN LOVE WITH THE D300!!! I want to marry it ever since I got to play with for a few hours.

LOL

I keep trying to talk myself in to the D90 but then I go to the store and look at them again and I just get so excited about the D300. I know it will take me longer to get a bunch of good glass but I will have to except that. I will get there.

But please keep talking to me about other options because I am not really married to it yet... We are still dating.... and I am still looking!

Ok Lets see if we can Change this thread up a little bit

I Am coming off my D300 high and looking for less camera and more lenses.... with the hope to upgrade one day to a great body....

So what every I buy now I have to also like the higher end bodles cause I dont want to have to buy new lenses later!

I am looking at everything SO HERE WE GO

I would like everyones opinions on these Cameras and ideas!

1. Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSI 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera

2. Nikon D5000 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera

3. Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera

4. Canon EOS 40D Black 10.1 MP Digital SLR Camera

Add anything else yall think I should be looking at! Just remember I dont want to rebuy lenses by changing camera brands later.

Does that mean I need to stay in Canon or Nikon???? Well I might be getting ahead of myself again!

Last edited:
Just remember I dont want to rebuy lenses by changing camera brands later.

Does that mean I need to stay in Canon or Nikon????
Yes and no. Generally lenses from one company are made to work with their own DSLRs (autofocus, exposure, etc...) but you can buy adaptors to make lenses from one brand "work" on another brand's camera...but it'll be all manual controls.

It's better to pick one brand and stick with it. Canon and Nikon are the leaders in the DSLR field so buying either brand will get you a good camera.

Based on your list the two best DSLRs are the Canon 40D and the Nikon D90.

By the time you get done with all of your research, there will be a new body out and you'll have to research that too...:lol:

Personally, I like Canon.

If this pro that is going to be mentoring you shoots Nikon, I think it would be worth going Nikon just for that reason.

You could (unless he's just an ass) try out his lenses while you're deciding what to get.

He probably has a ton of gear - I would get something that is compatable with it. Not saying that you should try to mooch off of him and always be borrowing crap - but it would be nice to be able to try something out before buying your own.

By the time you get done with all of your research, there will be a new body out and you'll have to research that too...:lol:

Personally, I like Canon.

If this pro that is going to be mentoring you shoots Nikon, I think it would be worth going Nikon just for that reason.

You could (unless he's just an ass) try out his lenses while you're deciding what to get.

He probably has a ton of gear - I would get something that is compatable with it. Not saying that you should try to mooch off of him and always be borrowing crap - but it would be nice to be able to try something out before buying your own.
x2 thats why I have a Canon and a nikon I can mooch more :lol:.

I like the canon bodies but nikon has some good glass. I would say go to the camera store and try the 2 brands out and see what "feels" right.

Most reactions

Back