Buying First Digital SLR?

By the time you get done with all of your research, there will be a new body out and you'll have to research that too...:lol:

Personally, I like Canon.

If this pro that is going to be mentoring you shoots Nikon, I think it would be worth going Nikon just for that reason.

You could (unless he's just an ass) try out his lenses while you're deciding what to get.

I was kinda thinking that too but he lives in Atlanta and I live in Louisiana so when I go out there to learn with him he said he had alot of stuff I could use! LENSES AND SUCH! but once i come home I will have no access to his stuff. Plus his son is big into photography too! He Mooches alot but he lives 30 miles away!!! LOL Dont blame him I have see my Uncles Studio and his Basement full of stuff... Some stuff I have no clue what it is ~

By the time you get done with all of your research, there will be a new body out and you'll have to research that too...:lol:

Personally, I like Canon.

If this pro that is going to be mentoring you shoots Nikon, I think it would be worth going Nikon just for that reason.

You could (unless he's just an ass) try out his lenses while you're deciding what to get.

He probably has a ton of gear - I would get something that is compatable with it. Not saying that you should try to mooch off of him and always be borrowing crap - but it would be nice to be able to try something out before buying your own.
x2 thats why I have a Canon and a nikon I can mooch more :lol:.

I like the canon bodies but nikon has some good glass. I would say go to the camera store and try the 2 brands out and see what "feels" right.

I guess you are a Camera and Car Guy Too???
oh yea... and the camera is always in the car :lol:

Car photography is really what got me into photography in the first place. A guy in a car club I was in is VERY good and then it just grew on me.

Hey that is kinda my story too... I always liked weather and landscapes but when I started working on my car, some friends asked me to take pics. Now I am here looking for a nicer Camera!

Hey that is kinda my story too... I always liked weather and landscapes but when I started working on my car, some friends asked me to take pics. Now I am here looking for a nicer Camera!

if you want to get into car photography check into getting a rig you can do some AMAZING thing with one i'll post some pics a local guy did with his rig in a few.

Don't forget the D200 - great learning camera. Got the same solid body as the D300 just not quite the same in terms of picture quality (but still very, very good). Thing is, it can be had for ~$700 used, versus the $1500 price for a D300 - and when you're learning, picture quality isn't as important as your understanding of what it is you're doing right and wrong - this is composition, exposure, etc., not whether you can print at an even bigger size or whether the colors are slightly better.

What is your budget? I'd get a D200 for $700, add on that $100 50mm f/1.8 lens, which leaves $1500-$800 = $700 to spend on other stuff, plus a little more since you've budgeted something for a second lens.

Which begs the question - what do you want to take pictures of? Are you a landscape kind of guy? Then pick up the Nikon 12-24 f/4 DX lens ($900 new). Do you want to take close-up pictures of flowers or insects (i.e. macro)? Then pick up a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro lens (also $900 new). Do you want to take photos of wildlife? Then pick up a Nikon 70-300 VR lens ($525 new) and a monopod ($200 new). Studio portraiture? Instead of the 50mm f/1.8, upgrade to the 50mm f/1.4G ($500 new) and buy a couple flashes (SB-600s, along with umbrella etc. $300 each). I could go on and on, it just depends on what you want to do.

If you don't really know, pick up a Nikon 18-200mm superzoom. The picture quality is not that good because the zoom range is so large, but you will be able to experiment and, if you bought it used, be able to resell it for about as much as you paid for it and be able to buy a lens more suitable to what you want to do.

Don't forget the D200 - great learning camera. Got the same solid body as the D300 just not quite the same in terms of picture quality (but still very, very good). Thing is, it can be had for ~$700 used, versus the $1500 price for a D300 - and when you're learning, picture quality isn't as important as your understanding of what it is you're doing right and wrong - this is composition, exposure, etc., not whether you can print at an even bigger size or whether the colors are slightly better.

What is your budget? I'd get a D200 for $700, add on that $100 50mm f/1.8 lens, which leaves $1500-$800 = $700 to spend on other stuff, plus a little more since you've budgeted something for a second lens.

Which begs the question - what do you want to take pictures of? Are you a landscape kind of guy? Then pick up the Nikon 12-24 f/4 DX lens ($900 new). Do you want to take close-up pictures of flowers or insects (i.e. macro)? Then pick up a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro lens (also $900 new). Do you want to take photos of wildlife? Then pick up a Nikon 70-300 VR lens ($525 new) and a monopod ($200 new). Studio portraiture? Instead of the 50mm f/1.8, upgrade to the 50mm f/1.4G ($500 new) and buy a couple flashes (SB-600s, along with umbrella etc. $300 each). I could go on and on, it just depends on what you want to do.

If you don't really know, pick up a Nikon 18-200mm superzoom. The picture quality is not that good because the zoom range is so large, but you will be able to experiment and, if you bought it used, be able to resell it for about as much as you paid for it and be able to buy a lens more suitable to what you want to do.

To answer a few Questions
Budget is about $3000 if I wait till January of next year

Budget is about $1500 to $1800 if I want it in the next month or so!

Here is what I plan to take pics of to start!
Random people, Cars and Trucks, and Weather shots, like Lightning, and storm clouds.

Later I would like to try Macro and Sports later but for now I will start with the above!

some rig shots by a local... he shoots with Canon BTW..

3537543231_d0c70963a4_b.jpg

3669319492_bfdebe00c5_b.jpg

3668516799_13c13ebcca_b.jpg

and just a nice shot of the Acura TL I love this car!!!!

3669323082_b4bed8fdfb_b.jpg

Wow, the first one is awesome! Was it raining (wet road)? It looks like the car is driving on glass.

Wow, the first one is awesome! Was it raining (wet road)? It looks like the car is driving on glass.

nope that was last sat. night after Hot Import Nights car show in Concord NC

Those are very nice... He is getting those shot on the open roads? Or is he standing still?

he has a rig hooked up to the car and the camera is hanging upside down from the rig facing the car (brave man). I'll see if anyone has a pic of his rig hooked up i'm sure theres on floating around somewhere.

here is one pic i found i'll see if i can find one that shows it on the car.

3369409774_b2afce8c33.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back