Buying for a friend. Don't want to mess it up.

Peakapot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been asked many a friend to help him buy a camera. I know alot more than him but alot less than you lot.

The camera will be used for pictures of his kids and pictures on holiday.

He has asked to find a second hand DSLR with a budget of £200/$250.

My questions are these;

1) Should I advise him to go for a different kind of camera?

2) What cameras for that budget would you say are ideal for his purpose?

Any help you can give me would be great.

Regards Dan

Sent from my Nexus 6P using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Second-hand for sure. At THAT low price range, in my area of the USA, there are a couple of good pawn shops, and one professionally-capable dealer ProPhoto Supply, that hanbdle low-priced, used d-slrs. The Nikon D90 is a good,low cost camera that can shoot Nikon AF, AF-D, AF-S, and AFS-G series Nikkor lenses with AF and with full functionality. The D90 is a LOW-cost body, but a good shooter.

The Canon 30D is okay as well, and priced similarly here, at around $139 US body only. Both are un-likely to have been shot-to-heck pro cameras.

The Nikon D2x, a former $5,000 pro body is now $275 at PPS; Canon XTi with 18-55 lens (old, low-spec camera) is $100; a Nikon D90 with accessories is $175; a Panasonic G3 with accessoies is $195.

I actually really LIKED the Nikon D40. I bought one for my wife, years ago when it was the hot, new Nikon camera in its price range. It can shoot flash photos at high shutter speeds. It has only 6 MP, but it's a good sensor, has good color. The difference between it and a D70 or a D50, or a D80, or a D90, is it can NOT use the AF or AF-D type autofocus lenses with automatic focusing. The D40 does NOT have an in-body focusing motor; the D50,D70,D80,and D90 all have an in-body focusing motor.

On the other hand, the D40 CAN use old, pre-AI manual focusing lenses that the higher-end D50,D70, D80, and D90 can not have mounted to them.

The D40 is a low-priced camera, and 170 sounds a bit high, unless it has a lens on it. Of course, in different markets, prices vary. Here, that would be "high" for a used D40, but its likely that in your area, prices are higher than they are in my area.

YES--with the Nikkor 18-200 AND the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D and 30k clicks...the 18-200 lens and the 50 make this worth the price, in my opinion.

The 18-200 lens was expensive...and the way this is pricesd out, it's around 115 each for the three main pieces. The sheer range, 18 to 200mm on THAT camera, will make this a good kit. The 18-200 lens was designed for about that many MP, on DX sensor size, and has terrific range for vacation and walkabout shots.

Last edited:
The D90 was sold before he could get it. I have found a good deal on a D40. It's £120 with a lens.

From what iv read though it doesn't have auto focus only manual? Is this correct?

If that's the case I don't think it's suitable for a complete begginer.

The D90 was sold before he could get it. I have found a good deal on a D40. It's £120 with a lens.

From what iv read though it doesn't have auto focus only manual? Is this correct?

If that's the case I don't think it's suitable for a complete begginer.

The D40 does have autofocus with all of the AF-S Nikon lenses, or HSM lenses from Sigma, or the in-lens-focusing motors used by other lens makers. So, the more-modern lenses with autofocusing motors inside the lens will AF on the D40. Earlier, screw-drive lenses need the camera to have the in-body focusing motor--which the D40 does not have. So, common lenses like the 18-55 WILL autofocus on the D40. Look for the letters AF-S for lenses that will have full AF on a D40 body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back