Buying from B&H

Do'Urden's Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im thinking of purchasing some things off B&H but im not sure how they calculate the exchange rates. im buying from canada and the price of the things im buying in canadian dollars SHOULD be less than the american value they give. However i know if i bought the same things from a canadian retail store the prices would still be higher. does anyone know if they calculate it based on the exchange rate at the time, or do they still jack the prices because its international?

Thanks

That isn't a B&H question. It's a credit card company question, and that depends from company to company. B&H will charge you in USD regardless.

The exchange rate is so close as to not matter....

What does matter is their prices, quality and service.

I just received an order from them for umbrella's, filters and a new ball head. Shipping was ~$40 but the savings easily covered that.

Cheers, Don

I also buy from B&H and highly recommend it. (Please use the link at the top of the page when you buy).

As Garbz said...they will charge you in USD and it's up to your credit card company (or however you are paying) to do the conversion.

For shipping to Canada, I suggest an airmail service rather than UPS ground. That way, you shouldn't get stuck with surprise brokerage fees. You will still need to pay GST (and maybe PST) though.

My CIBC Visa charges 2.5% for foreign currency transactions, but your credit card may be better. I usually start at the base mid-market rate (xe.com) and multiply by 1.025 for an approximation. Right now you will probably be paying slightly more than the US dollar price.

You should have your package shipped by either UPS Expedited or UPS Worldwide Saver. B&H gets extremely good rates from UPS, and you won't have to pay brokerage fees in addition to the sales tax for either of these services.

I also buy from B&H and highly recommend it. (Please use the link at the top of the page when you buy).

Ditto. I bought my XT and a $20.00 tripod there. I'm never disappointed!:D

Phil,

PS-btw, for all of you that buy online from B&H I strongly suggest visiting they're NYC superstore. It's amazing!:thumbup::D

Bob McBob's right, most credit card companies are going to include the 2.5% conversion fee in your exchange rate. The rate is set each day by Visa International (and I assume MC Int'l), and then the bank adds their little bit to it. The good thing is that the cc rate doesn't fluctuate during the day - the rate's the same for the whole day, and it's charged on the day you do the purchase.

That all said, still heaps of savings buying thru B&H!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back