Buying gears for my EOS 400D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Ajay420, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Ajay420

Ajay420 TPF Noob!

Hi,
    I have an EOS 400D,it came with the EFS 18-55 lense kit.Am planning to buy some lense and external flash.Am very much new in this field.We had a baby recently and want to take some good portraits.After some research in several website & reviews I am planning for the purchase of the followings,

1: Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras (Through the reviews it seems more solid & faster then 1.8, let me know if am wrong?)

2:Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras.(Mostly I take pictures indoor and in parties & with the built in flash it makes the snaps over flashed, I hope this flash will help me in indoor shooting)

3: A diffuser (It was mentioned to get a diffuser with the above flash does it really needed & if whatÂ’s the model)

4: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Greenish).I hope this will be a good choice to carry my SLR and the gears)

5. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Am having a little bit problems here after reading the review some says it great & some says just o.k. And at my current budget I have to choose either EF-S 55-250 telephoto lense or The 580Ex Flash, so guys please let me know which is better - To go with the flash now & shop for the telephoto lense next time or go for the EF-S 55-250.)

6. Also Let me know is the filters like UV, lense hood etc are needed.

I am asking too many questions I hope you guys don't mind. as am a beginner and many thanks in advance.

Ajay.T.C

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Great lens, highly recommended.

Good lighting with flash, has a lot to do with the direction of the light. With a flash like this, you can bounce the light off of a ceiling or wall etc. Which will make for much better lighting. The 580EX is the top of the line flash and is fairly expensive. You would probably be OK using the 430EX, which is still very good but is also less expensive.

There are many 'flash diffusers' on the market. Some of them work better in some situations and not so well in other situations. To start with, I suggest just learning to bounce the flash.

When choosing a bag, it's best to see it in-person, and judge the size for yourself.

I've also heard good things about that lens, but it's really new, so there aren't very many reviews just yet. I would guess that it's OK but not great...you usually can't get 'great' lenses for that price. As for getting the flash or the lens, that's up to you.

I like to use the Canon lens hoods that match the lens. They are usually hard plastic and 'petal' shaped. I don't use UV filters but many people do use them for protection. I do recommend a circular polarizer for shooting outdoors in sunny light.

3. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. Ajay420

Ajay420 TPF Noob!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    EF 70-200 F4 L
    EF 70-200 F4 L IS
    EF 70-200 F2.8 L
    *EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS

6. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    haha getting a bit pricey there with your suggestions Bigmike. However i think youd find the 70-200mm F4L convient in price and image quality Ajay. Fantastic lens for the price.

7. Ajay420

Ajay420 TPF Noob!

Hi guys,
    Any one let me know is it a common thing in Amazon that the price will go up when people get salaries, because I can see that the prices are going up from 30 to 60 $. For eg: Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM was $300 3 days ago and now it is $369, is it wise to wait for some days & buy at mid of next month?
    Ajay.T.C

8. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I believe Canon had a instant rebate promotion going on for some Canon Camera gears but ended few days ago. So the price different maybe related.

As for the EF-S 55-250mm IS lens, I heard good thing about it and saw some sharp photo taken by that lens. And of course, the 70-200 F4L is a great lens. Too bad that the new one now cost $40 more as the rebate promotion is over.

9. Do'Urden's Eyes

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Still man that lens is definately a steal in my opinion at any price below 700 dollars. ive had experience with it and was just amazed at the results. especially at how quick it focuses, literally like lightening. my picture were only limited by my own skills.

10. Ajay420

Ajay420 TPF Noob!

Thanks Dao/Do'Udren's Eyes,

I think I have to do my purchase sooner ;-) before the price goes up... by the way I came aross with the following lense,Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens . Any one have used this ? I dont think I can stretch for 70-200 F4L now. Please any one can compare the above one with Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS .

11. Do'Urden's Eyes

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ive never used the 55-250 IS but i HAVE used the 28-135 IS and thats on OK lens from the limited experience ive had with it. I know a few people who have absolutely fallen in love with that lens though. id reccomend it over the 55-250 just because it has a solid reputation and the 55-250 is relatively new. one is much cheaper than the other though so...