Buying in B.C. Canada

luckofthedraw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This forum has helped me out in deciding what camera to invest in. A hard earned splurge for us. My wife's going to be a proud new owner of the Nikon D610 . The time to buy is NOW!

We live in the southern interior of BC . Where should we be spending this chunk of hard earned money. Best price and best warranty are considerations of ours.

Thanks.
LOTD

For "best warranty", avoid grey-market cameras.

Grey-market means the camera wasn't imported by Nikon for distribution and sale in the Canadian market, but was imported from another market by a 3rd party and is being sold there. The camera really is made by Nikon, but Nikon won't provide a warranty nor even provide service (outside of warranty). Sometimes the third party seller claims they will provide warranty service... but if warranty is important to you (it would be to me) then you should probably just avoid the grey-market versions.

As for "best price"... even though I'm located just 20 minutes from the border (I'm in the US), I just don't don't know the camera retailers in Canada well enough to offer suggestions. I see that Amazon.ca has the camera body + lens kit (24-85mm lens) for $2049.99 CAD. Given that B&H Photo in the US sells the same camera body and lens for $1996.95 and that $1 USD is worth about $1.29 CAD, I'd say that's a pretty good price (makes me think that perhaps I should take that 20 minute drive to Canada if I wanted to buy it.)

go to a brick and mortar store.
if there's a London Drugs nearby, go there.

If you can I would buy from B & H, Adorama or Amazon. Probably cheaper and you will have the original warranty.

The brick and mortar suggestion for London Drugs (or even Best Buy) is great if you want to go that route. There's a Lens & Shutter in Kelowna, but that may be a bit of a drive for you.

If you are willing to purchase online I'd suggest The Camera Store or Vistek. Since neither has a office in BC they won't charge you PST and that could save you a fair chunk of change. They both ship free and you'd have the camera in a couple of days. I have experience with both and would recommend either.

Where 'bouts in the southern interior (I'm an old Fernie boy...) Prices aren't going to vary much between reputable retailers, and warranties are by manufacturer, so that's not a huge issue either London Drugs is definitely a good way to go, L&S does, I think some mail order. Henry's and Vistek are also reputable Canadian mail-order houses.

Bought my D750 in Future Shop which was owned by Best Buy, so I would also suggest Best Buy as an option.

I'm in Alberta, I'm not sure how PST works when you buy out of province, but you could possibly save the PST, as someone mentioned above.

The Camera Store, Vistek, & McBain Camera are all reputable stores here in Alberta. They will all ship and I believe that either of them will price match to other Canadian stores.

I'm in Alberta, I'm not sure how PST works when you buy out of province, but you could possibly save the PST, as someone mentioned above.

The Camera Store, Vistek, & McBain Camera are all reputable stores here in Alberta. They will all ship and I believe that either of them will price match to other Canadian stores.

As far as PST - if the store does not have an office in BC then no PST is charged (because I live in BC). Vistek has stores in Ontario and Alberta, but does not charge me PST when I make a purchase. I've made fairly large purchases from Vistek and Camera Store recently and have not paid any PST.

For the OP, if you're buying online then purchasing from the Camera Store versus Best Buy would save about $120.

For "best warranty", avoid grey-market cameras.

Grey-market means the camera wasn't imported by Nikon for distribution and sale in the Canadian market, but was imported from another market by a 3rd party and is being sold there. The camera really is made by Nikon, but Nikon won't provide a warranty nor even provide service (outside of warranty). Sometimes the third party seller claims they will provide warranty service... but if warranty is important to you (it would be to me) then you should probably just avoid the grey-market versions.

As for "best price"... even though I'm located just 20 minutes from the border (I'm in the US), I just don't don't know the camera retailers in Canada well enough to offer suggestions. I see that Amazon.ca has the camera body + lens kit (24-85mm lens) for $2049.99 CAD. Given that B&H Photo in the US sells the same camera body and lens for $1996.95 and that $1 USD is worth about $1.29 CAD, I'd say that's a pretty good price (makes me think that perhaps I should take that 20 minute drive to Canada if I wanted to buy it.)

This is really helpful. When the seller is a glib talker, we tend to be swayed with the line that the camera is authentic. Now we know better. Thank you, Tim!

Most reactions

Back