Buying internationally

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Cheesyman, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Cheesyman

Cheesyman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey people, im looking at getting a EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS USM lens and i have worked out it is cheaper to buy from america and have the lens sent to me. Now this may sound stupid to most people, but it's my ignorance but I am wondering if i was to buy this lens from america would it work on my body in the uk? i am sure it would but i thought i would ask this before taking the leap, cheers :D

2. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

EF is EF worldwide. how much cheaper is it in the US? you're liable for import duty into the UK.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You better check the terms of the warranty too. I think Canon USA will not always honor the warranty on Canon lenses meant for market elsewhere. I don't know if it works the other way 'round.

4. Cheesyman

Cheesyman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that's what i thought but just wanted to double check haha and roughly i would save £550, which is a hell of a lot to a student. Guess i would need to find out the import duty on the lens

5. Cheesyman

Cheesyman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cheers icassell that's something i will need to look into as well

6. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

sadly mate, i think so. this is the HMRC page you maybe need - the server seems offline at the moment..probably due to a denial-of-service attack by frugal yet curious Canon owners ;-)

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...ntent&id=HMCE_CL_000230&propertyType=document

ICassell's caution about the warranty is seriously worth clarifying in advance.

7. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One other thing to look into is where are you buying it in the USA. what site were you looking at for the price?

8. Cheesyman

Cheesyman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cheers matfoster will check out that link when it is back online :)

and speedtrap, i was looking at amazon usa as that was the link next to the price, but looking into it the 3rd party seller doesn't sell out the country. So think i will end up just buying in this country saving me the hassle of having no warrenty and paying import charges and such. Will just search ebay and other sites for a good price for the lens

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    psssst order through Kerso if you are going to go down the importing rout. It's far simpler and easier and you do get the international warrenty which canon do support.

Your other option for importing is Hong Kong retailers - of which there are many and a lot of scams - however One Stop Digital area good site to go through
    Welcome - Onestop Digital
    note that if you go through them you might end up having to pay import costs on the item - however keep the recipt for that and they will refund you the import cost. More details about that on their website