Buying lighting equipment

RiderOnTheStorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planing on buying lighting equipment but I'm not sure what to get. I am getting into portraits, B/W portraits to be more specific and I was thinking of two umbrellas and something to use as a backdrop?

I want to be able to play with shadows and achieve dramatic effects.

Is there a kit or something that would cover me without costing me a leg?

Get a book on studio lighting before you buy anything. You need to understand what does what, and than that way, you can make an educated decision on what you think you need.

Good quality lighting doesn't come cheap. I also notice that the lights included in that particular kit aren't even adjustable. They only work as full-power lights. My first studio strobe was an Alien Bees B800, which cost more than the street price of that entire kit.

That being said, it isn't required to spend a ton of money to get good results. I second Sw1tchFX's recommendation. Head to your local library (or book seller if you'd prefer to own your books) and do some research on lighting and lighting modifiers. This will give you a good foundation of knowledge from which you will have a better understanding of what kind of equipment you need, and why you need it.

Most reactions

Back