Buying my first DSLR. Several questions

Purchased my T3 today with the 18-55 and an extra 55-250 lense. Anyone have any general suggestions for settings and shooting mode for sunsets? Something I can look forward to seeing every night and give consistent practice. What I have done so far is too bright and can't see definition in the clouds.

Fyi, the first link if you Google t2i vs t3i gives the snapsort website is a rundown of both. Its also helpful for any other comparisons. I did hours upon hours of researching before I came to settle on the t2i. With that said I still haven't bought it because I'm waiting on the money for the other half of the camera. Just wanted to state the obvious here. Its no big deal to ask but just a slight bit of research and waiting reviews of cameras in your price range can very quickly help you become more familiar with the things you may or may not need. I am choosing the t2i because it seems user friendly, it takes full 1080p video which may come in handy, lower level lenses seem to be on the cheaper side and also because of magic lantern. I'm a completw noob to photography but researching on and off for the last few weeks as well as going through some of the beginners section here as well as reading things suggested by forum members, I feel as though my knowledge of the concept of photography has increased tenfold. Just saying... this is coming from a noob to a noob here

Not sure exactly how to do this on the T3, but take the mode dial to Av, change the metering mode to spot metering (manual will tell you exactly how), change ISO to 100, push the button that has an icon that looks like 4 or 5 little squares, and then look through the viewfinder, now use the scroll button to select the center focus point. Put that focus point on the sun, press the shutter button halfway down to focus, then use the scroll button again, move it one way or the other until the numer changes, start out at 8.0 and see how that works... if the shutter is too slow (blurry pic), make the number smaller and try again.

Thanks again Scorp for the help :) will try again tonight and let you know how it goes. PMing you the image I got last night on the T2i

canon t2i is a great buy. i suggest you get it. also def. get the kit lens with it. every photographer needs a kit lens. it is so versatile! when i first got into photography i felt restrcited by the kit lens because i could not photograph things from far away. so i bought a 70-300mm lens. after i got it i realized i used my kit lens more than anything else!

Bought myself the T3 already but thanks for the input. Didn't see the point in spending the extra $300 for the T3i when its my first slr. The joys of being a college kid

Have fun with your T3. I have a T2i and this camera has been doing me justice so far based on everyone's C&C of my work posted on this forum.

Bought myself the T3 already but thanks for the input. Didn't see the point in spending the extra $300 for the T3i when its my first slr. The joys of being a college kid

You'll miss the external speedlight control, rubberized grip, and articulating LCD screen. Some might say that's worth the extra $300.

I think having the rubberized grip is worth 300 alone IMHO.

Not sure exactly how to do this on the T3, but take the mode dial to Av, change the metering mode to spot metering (manual will tell you exactly how)

who suggested to buy T3 over T2i forgot to mention that T3 has no spot metering. While T2i over T3i is a wise choice, both have some useful extra vs. T3, including spot.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back