Buying my first DSLR

ChrisF79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings:

I had a Nikon SLR for a number of years and absolutely loved it. I'm not going to buy a Nikon DSLR to start a small service here taking photos of homes for Realtors in my area. I also live around a number of fantastic parks and will use the camera there to take some shots of the scenery. With what I want to do, should I wait for the new D60 or should I bump up my budget and go for something like the D200 or D300?

I'd love to hear suggestions as to what will do the trick for me.

Thanks!

meh, I would either grab a D80, D200 (what i just bought... waiting on UPS) or if you have the extra money you can buy a D300.... the d300 excellent noise control might help you for your realtors indoor shots.

Be careful though, dont get caught up in the "new equipment" hype and buy things you dont need. Remember, glass is the most important factor.

If you dont need the high noise, maybe look into a D80 or D200.. will save you a few 100 that can be spent on better glass. I had set to buy a D80 until a guy offered me the D200 or a few more dollars...

meh, I would either grab a D80, D200 (what i just bought... waiting on UPS) or if you have the extra money you can buy a D300.... the d300 excellent noise control might help you for your realtors indoor shots.

Be careful though, dont get caught up in the "new equipment" hype and buy things you dont need. Remember, glass is the most important factor.

If you dont need the high noise, maybe look into a D80 or D200.. will save you a few 100 that can be spent on better glass. I had set to buy a D80 until a guy offered me the D200 or a few more dollars...

i agree with spending less on the body and more on glass. But if your money permits, I'd say get the D300 or the D200. Since, you're already on a SLR camera, the D300 or D200, might give you a bigger step up.

Go out and use them all first before buying, and see which one suits your level? and most of all which one you like more

Amazing how fast I get replies! As far as the glass goes, I'm thinking I'll need a really good wide angle lense to get tight shots of walk-in closets, bathrooms and other small spaces. What other lenses do you recommend?

Well how much money in total do you have to spend? that will give us a better idea on what lenses to suggest. For example, if money is no object, id say the 17-55 would be a good place to start. But it costs about 1200 dollars. The nikon 18-70 is a wonderful lens and can be had used for about 150. And if your going to be using the wide end 3.5 isn't too slow, but still might be limiting in dimly lit closets and such.

Since you are an experienced person with SLR therefore I think you know that the up market cameras are - just loaded with technology to make it easy for the lazy.:p

As for the wide lens. I don't have experience yet with lenses other than my kit lens (good enough zoom though) - but I have read many reviews on daily basis for almost 3 months now. With that informations I think it is Sigma 10-20mm that to me is the still standing gladiator in the arena. Than of course you know the existance of the Nikkor 12-24mm, which is far more expensive.

The save bet for the sake of certainty is naturally - renting them if you like.

As far as the question on budget, I could spend $2500 to $3000 to get something like a D200 and a wide angle lense. But, do I really need to spend that much? What if I bought the soon-to-be-released Nikon D60 and a wide angle lense for half the price? What differences would I see in my photos?

I believe the D60 can only autofocus with AF-S lenses so it limits your lens choice a bit. I'd say go with the D80 and spend the rest on some good wide angles and maybe some primes.

When I do the compare feature on B&H's website for the Nikon D60 and the Nikon D80, I'm not seeing any differences at all except for the D60 being cheaper. What am I missing here?

There's a couple differences I've found:

The D60 has 3 AF points vs 11 that the D80 has.
The D60 needs AF-S lenses to auto focus the D80 does not.
There is a top display on the D80 but not on the D60.

I'm sure there are some more technical ones but that's what I could find quickly.

forgive me if one or 2 of these cameras is out of place as I shoot Canon but I think the Nikon line is generally:

D3 > D2x > D300> D2> D200 > D100 >D80 > D70s> D70 > D50 > D60 > D40 > D40x (this one is last because it's a scam)

I'd pick the D80 or D200 in that range. Definitely ignore the 3 cameras to the right of the D50. Also, spend more on the lense than the body.

That's too general, plus I'd pick the D50 over the D70 & D70s and I did. Some people also like the D300 over the D2x.

forgive me if one or 2 of these cameras is out of place as I shoot Canon but I think the Nikon line is generally:

D3 > D2x > D300> D2> D200 > D100 >D80 > D70s> D70 > D50 > D60 > D40 > D40x (this one is last because it's a scam)

D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 350D, 400D, 5D, 1d, 1ds... aaahhhh its so confusing.

Sorry... not much help. I just wish nikon or canon would find come up with a better model naming convention...

It would be easier if the stuck with the higher number being the newer i.e better and a letter attached to denote a lower performer, middle performer, and highest performer. But it's too far gone.

Just don't make the mistake I made and buy a D40X... Unless you like to manual focus on a lot of good lenses.

Most reactions

Back