Buying my first DSLR

Thats not making a mistake by buying that. Although you did make the mistake of not doing enough research on what you invest in.

This post is getting very interesting! Last night I did a little experiment. Knowing that the employees at a camera store in my area are on a commission plan, I called and asked the similar question. However, I told them I was interested in the D200. I wanted to see if they'd try to sell me on the expensive camera and of the 4 locations I called, all had the D200 in stock but recommend the D40x. They said it would be overkill to get the D80 or D200 and that I wouldn't end up using most of the features of the camera.

Any opinions on their advice?

The D40x isn't a bad camera, I owned it for a few months. I liked the interface and how light it was but I just needed more. If you're looking at the D40x seriously I would suggest the D40 instead and save the money to spend on glass. But I don't think the D80 is overkill, the D200 may be. I'd say either get the D40 and have to get only AF-S lenses in order to auto focus or get the D80 and be able to get almost any lens to auto focus. I would imagine that inside a home may have low lighting, this is where something like the 50mm 1.8 prime would come in handy, you can get this with the D40 but it will not auto focus.

As far as lenses go, I was looking on BH Photo and they have the warning that DX lenses are not recommended on DSLR's. However, all of the Nikon lenses I look at have DX in the description. Can anybody explain this to me?

DX lenses are made for smaller sized sensors which is pretty much all Nikon DSLR's except for the D3 and some others. The D80, D40, use DX lenses. DX lenses can't be used on film SLR's which is what the warning says.

I think the basis behind the D40s existance is horrible. I hate that camera. Less AF points than the D50 and no autofocus motor. AF-S lenses cost a bunch more. So, they reel you in witht eh word "cheap" then make you realize the hard way that you're paying Nikon thousands more in lenses than the 2 or 3 hundred you saved on the body. A complete and utter scam and I hate nikon ( I don't hate Nikon cameras, just the branch of the company that made the D40, pure evil scammers) for that. the Rebel series may be a plastic camera that some call a joke, but at least the rebels can use every lens a 1Ds MK II can use (and more) [/end rant]

DO NOT BUY THE D40 OR THE D40X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a D40x and I don't Mind it at all. Im a beginner in college but for what im doing it works just fine. Ive also used the D200 which i really liked. Im a Nikon user and my husband is a Canon user. Were both attending the Art institute of Las Vegas and They give the Canon Xti Rebels to all there photography students.

But yes I really agree with everyone else tho on making sure to buy a good lense over buying the best body.

Sorry Im not any help lol Im just bored and chatting :p Good luck tho! Sounds like there is a lot of people on here who really know what there taking about! Which is a great thing!

Most reactions

Back