Buying my First DSLR

egor.evseev

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, im looking to buy a DSLR and so far i have looked at the nikon d40 d60 the canon xs and xsi. As far as i could see those are the main entry level dslrs. Wich one do you think i should get? Also i am kind of leaning towards the canons now because not all the nikon lenses have AF. Right now i have a canon powershot s3 is so im fairly familiar with canons interface.

EDIT: I have 800$ canadian saved up.

Last edited:
Get the d40 with a good lens and just save for better lenses.

Get the d40 with a good lens and just save for better lenses.

How does it make sense to get a D40 over the D60 when you'll only be saving $100? The D40 is very similar to the D60, but in my opinion the D60 is worth the extra $100.

With that said, I don't know how much $800 canadian is...but here is what you should do.

Go to a store (best buy in the US) and try out both the D60 and the Xsi. Then get whatever of the two feels better in your hands, which one has the menu layout that you prefer, and which one in general you like more. One thing I will say, is i've heard negative things about the kit lens on the Cannon XS. However, the kit lens on the Nikon D60 is pretty amazing...I love it, and have had great experience with it.

However I have no direct experience with the Cannon, and in general, the kit lens on any camera is not going to be that great. Bottom line: Get whatever camera you personally like more based on how it feels in your hands, and the menu layout. All the cameras you mentioned will be great entry level DSLR's.

(I have to say that I 100% recommend the D60...I LOVE it)

How does it make sense to get a D40 over the D60 when you'll only be saving $100? The D40 is very similar to the D60, but in my opinion the D60 is worth the extra $100.

Besides the fact that you own it, what makes the D60 worth the extra 100 bucks?

I've got an XSi for entry level DSLR since I'm still a beginner. I don't regret it at all, great camera, easy to use and takes great shots for starters with just the kit lense.

1. The d40 is old
2. The d60 is 10 mp
3. The d60 kit lens is VR, d40 is not
4. D60 has new sensor cleaner
5. D60 has other new features thAt the d40 doesn't

To me, that's well worth the extra $100..

The d40 is old

And. . .

The d60 is 10 mp

Meaningless at the entry-level. . .

The d60 kit lens is VR, d40 is not

VR is a gimmick.

D60 has new sensor cleaner

Eh. . .

D60 has other new features thAt the d40 doesn't

Such as?

The 100 that can be saved from choosing the D40 (or hell even the D50) over the D60 can be translated to something that ACTUALLY matters at the entry level: lens choice. Camera technology is not like computer technology, in that last years or tech from 4 years ago is somehow "obsolete". Unfortunately new buyers coming in to these forums have that hammered into their heads by slightly-less new former-buyers, and end up speaking dough on cameras they dont need in order to sate some sense of inferiority.

Hello, im looking to buy a DSLR and so far i have looked at the nikon d40 d60 the canon xs and xsi. As far as i could see those are the main entry level dslrs. Wich one do you think i should get? Also i am kind of leaning towards the canons now because not all the nikon lenses have AF. Right now i have a canon powershot s3 is so im fairly familiar with canons interface.

EDIT: I have 800$ canadian saved up.
Keep in mind you'll need some other gear like memory cards, cleaning kit, gear bag, etc., so keep some money aside for those things.

Any of those cameras will work very well as a start on DSLR photography.

Read the manual carefully several times and keep it handy for reference when out shooting.

I wouldn't say VR is a gimmick.

I'd say IS (VR but Olympus) gave me many useful low light shots that I wouldn't have gotten without it.

I'd say the XSi is a good bet. You might want to check out the Olympus E-620 as well.

The only problem is both Nikon and Canon IS lenses are $$$$.

Ok mr. Know-it-all...

First, I never said the d40 was obsolete. Second, I disagree with your 'opinions' on the d60 features, including VR (but that's ok). Third, show me a prime lens, or any lens for the d40, that is $100?

VR isn't a "feature" of the D60 - it just so happens that there are no D40 "kits" that come with the VR lens (although I doubt that). If someone REALLY wants a VR lens and is convinced that its going to be of benefit to them (for the times they are trying to get their 18MM lens that F/3.5 at the wide end to collect enough light in a dimly lit party room), they can just go body only on the D40 and choose the VR lens most suitable for them - or ditch it and get the 50MM 1.4G instead.

Third, show me a prime lens, or any lens for the d40, that is $100?

Manual or auto-focus? If you need auto-focus then 100 down on the 200 dollar 35MM F/1.8 is nothing to sneeze at. Or perhaps 100 down on a 200 dollar SB-600. Or. . .well you get the idea.

Second, I disagree with your 'opinions' on the d60 features

The D50 is OLDER than the D40, lacks sensor cleaning of any kind, has a measly 6MP, and - as far as I know - isn't being kitted with any fancy pants VR lenses. I would however take the D50 over EITHER of those cameras, any day of the week.

As I said, folks attempt to apply the same "techno idioms" that apply to other technology sectors, and this just does not work when dealing with cameras.

And I am a Know-It-All. . .I mean when you do know everything its kinda silly to not flaunt it.

He has 800 canadian dollars saved up. wich I assume hes canadian. If so in canada there is only a $30.00 diffrence between the d40 body and the D60. So yes for the extra 30 dollars purchase the D60 for $449.00 canadian. wich leaves you $351.00 towards a lens. Or purchase the d60 kit with the 18-105 VR for $789.00 (If you choose to go with Nikon)

i would go with the D40. has enough features for a beginner and the higher mp of the d60 probably won't matter for you. i believe that i heard that many prefer the d40 because it will do better in low light situations beacause of the lower MP. i wouldnt worry about lenses either. if your a beginner you probably wont get a collection of top notch lenses unless you upgrade to a better body. thats how i saw it for myself. get the kit lense and then a zoom but when your ready to step up to a nicer body worry about the lenses.
save the little money i say because there is many small costs you may want. filters, memory, battery, etc.

hope that helps
Gian

A camera is just the device that captures the photo it's not what makes the photo or composes it so if you get a d40 with some practice you can take images that look the exact same whether or not you use the d40,d60,d300 w.e. so if you're just starting get the d40 and you will love it!

Most reactions

Back