Buying my first Nikon DSLR... $1,100 budget

Santo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ooitzsanto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Over the summer I was torn between buying a Canon (Xsi or T1i) and Nikon (D60) and luckily ended up borrowing a friend's old Canon XT which is what I've been using since then.

I have finally saved up enough money ($1,000) to buy myself a DSLR and I've narrowed my choices down to Nikon: D60 or D90. I'd get the D80 but I haven't found any good deals for it. =/

I've browsed through Adorama, Amazon and B&H and have found some really good deals for both the D60 and the D90. And though the D90 would cost me an extra $500 or so, I'm NOT trying to make another DSLR purchase for a very long time.

- Nikon D60 with 18-55MM VR Lens ($579)
Amazon.com: Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

- Nikon D60 with 18-55MM VR Lens AND 55-200MM Lens ($885)
Amazon.com: Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens with 2 Nikon School DVDs: Camera & Photo

- Nikon D90 with 18-105MM *KIT* ($1,150)
nikon d90 - Adorama.com

What would you guys recommend? Do I buy the (much) cheaper D60 and spend the rest of the money on lens, kits and other camera accessories? Or do I buy the much greater (and expensive) D90?! Thoughts?

Also, how long does the Nikon CAMERA warranty usually last?

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Curious why you went against Canon after originally looking at the XSi and T1i. Since the XT came out nearly 5 years ago, and has had 3 successors since, I would think it would be unfair to use it as a benchmark to compare. I would still look at the XSi if on a budget or T1i if you want to go longer without being drawn to upgrading.

A few months ago I bought the D5000. It is in the middle of the D60 and the D90. While it is true that you should spend more money on glass, as it will last much longer than a body.

One big disadvantage of the D60 (and D5000), is there is no built in autofocus motor in the body. If you want autofocus, you will have to purchase more expensive AF-S lenses with their built-in focusing motors. For this reason alone, I wish I would have bought the D90. In addition to more controls and a few more features such as a slightly better high ISO performance.

For example, with a D90, you can buy a AF 50MM D 1.4 lens for $329. But to buy the new "G" version with the AFS motor, you would have to spend $465. The are many good "D" lenses that you may want, but you would have to manually focus. You should take this into account when you make your camera body purchase.

Both cameras are great though. I have used my friend's D60 and it is a great camera as long as you know its limitations.

Good luck with your purchase and be sure to post pictures on here when you start shooting.

Or you could just get the nikon d90 body only for $839 from cameta
Nikon D90

Get the D90. It will be worlds better than the D60 and leave you a ton more options to grow into.

go for D90. It work for you from basics to advance features. With time you'll upgrade to a newer body and/or glass.
Good Luck

Curious why you went against Canon after originally looking at the XSi and T1i. Since the XT came out nearly 5 years ago, and has had 3 successors since, I would think it would be unfair to use it as a benchmark to compare. I would still look at the XSi if on a budget or T1i if you want to go longer without being drawn to upgrading.
It's not that Canon is bad, it's just that I like Nikon better. I used the D90 for a few days and just fell in LOVE with it. And because I didn't have the money to buy myself one, I started looking at earlier models (D40, D60, D70..).

Whereas the XT (I know it's old and all) didn't really impress me and neither did the XTi. I don't like the way they feel in my hand and I liked the Nikon lenses better. ;)

Thank you guys so much for your help, I'm definitely going to buy the D90! Now all I am debating on is whether or not to get the KIT (18-105mm VR) or buy the body and (different) lens separately.

Thank you guys so much for your help, I'm definitely going to buy the D90! Now all I am debating on is whether or not to get the KIT (18-105mm VR) or buy the body and (different) lens separately.

The D90 is a great machine. I have the D80 and I envy the D90's noise performance. (You can almost say that it has no noise.) Regarding the lens choice. You never said what you intend to shoot. That makes a difference.

It's not that Canon is bad, it's just that I like Nikon better. I used the D90 for a few days and just fell in LOVE with it. And because I didn't have the money to buy myself one, I started looking at earlier models (D40, D60, D70..).

Whereas the XT (I know it's old and all) didn't really impress me and neither did the XTi. I don't like the way they feel in my hand and I liked the Nikon lenses better. ;)
Well a D90 is definately going to be much better than either an XT or XTi. Nikon doesnt even make an entry level SLR as old as the XT, so its hard to use the XT or even XTi as a fair comparisson point. I don't mean to jump on this, but I just don't think that these old, discontinued, mediocre, entry-level Canons are a good representation of the current lineup at all; especially against something as nice as a D90. If the situation were flipped, it'd be like comparing a Canon 50D against a 2006 Nikon D40.

That being said, having not jumped into either camp yet, both brands makes excellent cameras and lenses. And either choice would lead down a fine path. I just happen to prefer Canon, and have stuck with them for some time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back