buying new camera - film or digital?????

Sorry taking so long getting back.
How do 7 megapix digital 8x10 prints compare with film 8x10s?
Since I'm familiar with the Nikonas, am considering a film SLR for now. Any recommendations on new/used film SLRs w/auto focus including close-up, macro and wide angle lenses, and speed light?
Thanx for your patience
Dave
Try running a search on the forum; there are just as many Nikon vs Canon threads, with detailed descriptions of all bells & whistles, as there are film vs digital threads. I wouldn't feel comfortable making a camera purchase solely on the input of a single thread. Instead of popping in here every couple of months to stir the pot, you should be reading extensively, here and on other forums, and make your decision based on your own needs, shooting style - and then go for it.

A coupla' folks have mentioned that digital is cheaper in the long run, but i have found that it can be just as expensive as film or even moreso. Dslr's are generally more expensive than most new film slr's (and we're not even talking used here), then there's photoshop, the cost of inkjet cartridges, paper (o.k. granted I'm talking about premium and professional 8.5x11 sheets), and a good printer. It really adds up! Granted you can rack up major costs with film, development, and prints. It all depends on what you want. Personally I prefer film, but since I don't have the cash for a complete darkroom, I scan my negatives and work on them in photoshop. If you want to cut costs, try developing your own black and white. Granted your hands will smell like cat pee and salad dressing, but it's a small price to pay. As for the age old debate of Nikon vs. Canon, I really don't get it. When you get down to it, all slr's carry out the same task in a realatively similar manner. More often than not the difference in cameras has to do with features and lenses, but even then, if the prints you make please you, does it matter which camera you used?

The Canon/Nikon debate is easily answered. Nikon was the king of 35mm. Canon is the king of pro-sumer digital.

I still think that film photography is king until full-frame 35mm equivalent digital cameras become affordable.

And I feel much safer with a notebook full of negatives than a hard drive.

And I feel much safer with a notebook full of negatives than a hard drive.[/quote]

Same here. I've had a few bad jpegs that have ruined some of my favorite shots. Instead of fretting and cursing loudly, I just go back and re-scan the negative.

Most reactions

Back