Buying New- Sony A700 or Cannon 50D

Get the Canon. Don't just look at the new lenses. Look at lenses, and accessories in the used market as well. If you plan on buying everything new - get what you want. If you want to buy used - get the Canon.

If you held a Nikon at BestBuy, it was probably a D40 or D60, and they feel like toys. Go to a camera store and hold a higher end Nikon - they feel extremely solid, and very different from the lower end models.

If you held a Nikon at BestBuy, it was probably a D40 or D60, and they feel like toys. Go to a camera store and hold a higher end Nikon - they feel extremely solid, and very different from the lower end models.

yeah my d300 feels very solid, more than a 50d. If you say you didnt like the feel of a nikon you couldnt have been holding a d300 because my a100 feels like a toy after i've held my d300.

It was a D40, there are no camera stores anywhere near me, I live in a pretty rural area and we dont have that stuff here.

Last edited:
It was a 40D, there are no camera stores anywhere near me, I live in a pretty rural area and we dont have that stuff here.

a d40? a 40D is a canon.. and yeah the d40 is the smallest nikon they have and it doesnt even have an af motor in it. I wouldn't write off nikon just yet if you've only held a d40.

Don't worry about the bodies. You'll be happy either way. Worry about the line of lenses. Canon offers a much larger selection, and (i believe) Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina make more lenses compatible with Canon than Sony. If I were you, I would go Canon.

I think I have made the first decision to go with Canon, now which model I should go with is the last choice! I am torn here, do I go with the 50D, 5D, 5D Mark II, or 1D Mark III?

Do you have the money for any one of those cameras? If so, go nuts and get the best one if money isn't an option here. If it is, the 50D will do just fine.

If you are going to go with Canon then you need to think about what type of photography you want to do. All of the bodies you listed have their strong points. The 5D MK II is a really nice camera but will cost you a small fortune.

The 5D is actually pretty affordable for a full frame camera. 2700 bucks at BH - no tax, free shipping.

I am very close to the price of the 5D Mark II, so yeah I have the money. I have a friend that wants my A100 so that gets that out of my office and helps soften the blow!

I want to shoot mainly studio stuff right now, I have a ton of women that are willing to help me get experience taking those kinds of photos. I started looking at the 50D because I knew glass was going to be pricey! I know that I am trying to setup a little studio and strobes aren't cheap, but I'm willing to go slow if it means saving me a ton of money in the end!

I am very close to the price of the 5D Mark II, so yeah I have the money. I have a friend that wants my A100 so that gets that out of my office and helps soften the blow!

I want to shoot mainly studio stuff right now, I have a ton of women that are willing to help me get experience taking those kinds of photos. I started looking at the 50D because I knew glass was going to be pricey! I know that I am trying to setup a little studio and strobes aren't cheap, but I'm willing to go slow if it means saving me a ton of money in the end!

So you're saying that you don't even have enough money for the 5D yet? If so I wouldn't look into getting the 5D because right now the glass is going to be the most important thing and if you buy a camera but you dont have a lens it's just going to sit there and do nothing.

If you're trying to set up a studio I would get the 50D and spend the rest on a studio set up. What exactly do you need the 5D to do that the 50D can't?

I am not worried about not being able to do anything, I don't want to buy another camera for a couple of years. I also see that the 5D has a full frame sensor where the 50D has a crop sensor.

Most reactions

Back