Buying New- Sony A700 or Cannon 50D

I start a thread about being able to photograph soldiers coffins and some one decides to be a d bag and gets it locked after four posts (so much for freedom of speech) in a thread that had not once strayed from civility and this crap goes on for five pages?

The blind leading the blind is probably the biggest problem that this forum has-- I hope to help a little bit though I won't claim to have all the answers.

I think we are all looking for the perfect didigtal camera but everyone knows there is no 1 camera that will do it all perfectly. I understand that concept, I just want a camera that is an upgrade to my Sony A100 that has a lot of support not only user wise but lens wise as well. It doesn't have to be the best camera and it doesnt have to cost me a small fortune. In one post someone said it's about quality of light, I understand that concept as well, I am researching light and buying the equipment. I am still listening even though most of this is an argument, some of the info is top notch! The whole time I have had my A100 I have never shot above 400 ISO even when shooting motorcycle stunts, I don't know what this says about my shooting ability but I see most of you post in concern to high ISO's.

Examples:
l_eed15425b94f7a58abf6373fabfe7307.png

16.png

14.png

13.png
l_2a5a92cfb3e9df6b0fe195b19759e049.png

fragged3d - Bring your shutter speeds down a bit when shooting bikes. You'll get motion blur on the wheels and it will give it a sense of movement and speed but you can still capture the rest of the image without motion blur as long as you have a good balance of shutter speed.

Let's just get Ken Rockwell's perspective while we're at it. Once you read this, you'll never seriously consider Canon. :)

Nikon vs. Canon

That should have Tayfun doing back flips with excitement.

Just get a Kodak Easy Share and be done with it! It's got a convenient docking station and its own printer! Wow! Kodak, hands down!

Here's a simple test.

I apologize to the OP for my part in steering this thread off course.

ANDS!, you're up next.

OP I apologize for Tharmsen steering this thread off course.

Sorry, Tim, but this was funny as hell, whether right or wrong!!! :lol::lol:
I fully expected that post, his narcissism makes his sophomoric antics easy to predict. I must be a genius of VI proportions because I sooo saw that coming.

:lol:

Not to bring up an old thread, but I find myself in a very similar situation as the OP. I currently am an owner of a Sony A100 (my first foray into the DSLR world) and am looking at upgrading. I primarily shoot landscape/cityscape photography, but will be shooting for a website at NCAA football games this fall. Now I know the A100 isn't really suited for this type of shooting with high ISO noise (at higher levels) and a lower fps.

Now I'm not too invested in lenses yet, but in addition to the kit lens have a SAL 50mm F1.4 and SAL 24-105mm lens.

Torn at this point between the 50D and Alpha 700. Really looking for a camera that will allow better sports photography while still being up to the task of landscape photography. Would love the D300, but anywhere I look, its going for close to a $700-$900 more than the 50D/700 (looking at new or old) which puts it slightly out of my budget. I plan on getting the Sigma 70200 F2.8 lens for either model (same cost). Also plan on expanding my lens coverage eventually getting a f2.8 fisheye, as well as a solid f.28 short telephoto lens (in the Sonys case to replace my SAL 24-105).

So basically I'm looking at:

Alpha 700 + SAL 50mm F1.4(since I already own it)

or

Canon 50D

Not to bring up an old thread, but I find myself in a very similar situation as the OP. I currently am an owner of a Sony A100 (my first foray into the DSLR world) and am looking at upgrading. I primarily shoot landscape/cityscape photography, but will be shooting for a website at NCAA football games this fall. Now I know the A100 isn't really suited for this type of shooting with high ISO noise (at higher levels) and a lower fps.

Now I'm not too invested in lenses yet, but in addition to the kit lens have a SAL 50mm F1.4 and SAL 24-105mm lens.

Torn at this point between the 50D and Alpha 700. Really looking for a camera that will allow better sports photography while still being up to the task of landscape photography. Would love the D300, but anywhere I look, its going for close to a $700-$900 more than the 50D/700 (looking at new or old) which puts it slightly out of my budget. I plan on getting the Sigma 70200 F2.8 lens for either model (same cost). Also plan on expanding my lens coverage eventually getting a f2.8 fisheye, as well as a solid f.28 short telephoto lens (in the Sonys case to replace my SAL 24-105).

So basically I'm looking at:

Alpha 700 + SAL 50mm F1.4(since I already own it)

or

Canon 50D
You really should start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. You'll get responses aimed at your specific questions.

Yes .. plus this thread is really old.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back