Buying Nikon D3000 Tomorrow HELP!

meganm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi forum! My name is Megan Ive been lurking for several weeks now and decided to join today. Ive learned alot just from reading about other ppl's experiences and I promise I will try to search before I ask anything. :mrgreen:

Im sure there is already something similar on this topic already and if so i deeply apologize but I wont be online much longer and would really like some responses before I purchase tomorrow... pls dont kill me;)

So here is my dilemma. This will be my first DSLR, mainly for recreational use. At Best Buy, the D3000 is $499 but for $599 I can get an extra lens. I havent learned enough to know if its worth it for me to go ahead and get the package, and im sure Theres an immense amount of info on the TPF already but im in a hurry. TIA!!!!

Nikon D3000 10.2-MP Digital SLR Camera with Extra Lens

The D3000 is a good place to start and I would go with the package.

My 2 cents

Is this right?

D3000 + 18-55 for $499

or

D3000 + 18-55 and 55-200 for $599

If so, that 55-200 is worth the extra $100 - but I don't think either of those are the VR version, I'd personally prefer the 55-200 w/VR (vibration reduction).

You can always start out with the D3000 + 18-55 setup and add lenses at another time, if you hang out here too long you'll be buying faster glass before long and selling your 'kit lenses'.

I would think you'd really enjoy having a 55-200mm zoom lens for longer-distance subjects and for the narrower, more selective angle of view that you'd be able to get with a 55-200 lens.

k. thanks guys! Im most likely not gonna have the extra cash in the near future to buy an additional lens so i figured I might as well take advantage of the package while i have the opportunity. Hmmm still up in the air on it. :meh:

Are you planing to getting a tripod in the future?

Hey! I am also buying a D3000 here in a few days (possibly tomorrow?)

Anyways, I'll be buying this package...

Amazon.com: Nikon D3000 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens & 55-200mm VR Zoom Lens with 8GB Card + EN-EL9a Battery + Nikon Gadget Bag + 2 Nikon School DVDs + Accessory Kit: Cameta Camera

its 90 more than you wanted to spend, but BOTH lenses are VR. You'll probably need to copy/paste that link, I cant get it to work other wise

You also get

3) Transcend 8GB High-Capacity SecureDigital (SDHC) Card
♦ 4) Spare EN-EL9a High Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
♦ 5) Nikon SLR System Case
♦ 6) Precision Design USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital (SD/SDHC) Card Reader
♦ 7) Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet
♦ 8) Precision Design Deluxe 6 Piece Lens & Digital SLR Cleaning Kit
♦ 9) Image Recall Digital Image Recovery Software
♦ 10) Nikon School Instructional DVD: "Fast, Fun & Easy IV"
♦ 11) Nikon School Instructional DVD: "Understanding Digital Photography"

Im not affiliated with these Cameta people, just a fellow student who needs to get the most out of their money!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey! I am also buying a D3000 here in a few days (possibly tomorrow?)

Anyways, I'll be buying this package...

Amazon.com: Nikon D3000 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens & 55-200mm VR Zoom Lens with 8GB Card + EN-EL9a Battery + Nikon Gadget Bag + 2 Nikon School DVDs + Accessory Kit: Cameta Camera

its 90 more than you wanted to spend, but BOTH lenses are VR. You'll probably need to copy/paste that link, I cant get it to work other wise

You also get

3) Transcend 8GB High-Capacity SecureDigital (SDHC) Card
♦ 4) Spare EN-EL9a High Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
♦ 5) Nikon SLR System Case
♦ 6) Precision Design USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital (SD/SDHC) Card Reader
♦ 7) Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet
♦ 8) Precision Design Deluxe 6 Piece Lens & Digital SLR Cleaning Kit
♦ 9) Image Recall Digital Image Recovery Software
♦ 10) Nikon School Instructional DVD: "Fast, Fun & Easy IV"
♦ 11) Nikon School Instructional DVD: "Understanding Digital Photography"

Im not affiliated with these Cameta people, just a fellow student who needs to get the most out of their money!

Your link doesn't work.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Copy/Paste doesn't work either.

Thinking back to the original question I started wondering what I would do right now knowing what I do.

If I were going to get a D3000, first I would look for a body only, best price new or refurb.

Next I would buy a new or used Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 HSM Macro lens and start saving.

Then I'd wait a while and see what I was missing out on, and expand my kit based on my needs.

Better question is...Whats the budget??

Most reactions

Back