Buying Nikon D3000 Tomorrow HELP!

I JUST got an e-mail from a photo supply house in my area: D3000 with 18-55mm VR lens $499.99,and Nikon 55-200 VR lens, $149.99. So, that is BOTH lenses, the 18-55 VR AND the 55-200 with VR for $650. To me, it is worth it to have BOTH lenses be the VR models.

I would not buy the kit with the earlier, non-VR 18-55 lens for $499 when it is available WITH the Vibration Reduction 18-55mm lens for $499. To me, the VR lens is really a nice feature--for panning, for shooting when out of breath or when you've had a bit too much coffee, or when using Flash + Slow shutter speed, the VR lenses are wonderful.

There is not a lot of profit margin on these entry-level kits, so a big box like Best Buy selling a non-VR 18-55 and a non-VR 55-200 is making most of its profit on the lower wholesale price of the non-VR lenses.

I JUST got an e-mail from a photo supply house in my area: D3000 with 18-55mm VR lens $499.99,and Nikon 55-200 VR lens, $149.99. So, that is BOTH lenses, the 18-55 VR AND the 55-200 with VR for $650. To me, it is worth it to have BOTH lenses be the VR models.

I would not buy the kit with the earlier, non-VR 18-55 lens for $499 when it is available WITH the Vibration Reduction 18-55mm lens for $499. To me, the VR lens is really a nice feature--for panning, for shooting when out of breath or when you've had a bit too much coffee, or when using Flash + Slow shutter speed, the VR lenses are wonderful.

There is not a lot of profit margin on these entry-level kits, so a big box like Best Buy selling a non-VR 18-55 and a non-VR 55-200 is making most of its profit on the lower wholesale price of the non-VR lenses.

Do you have a link?

Thanks everyone youve given some great advice. Ive decided to just get the camera with the included lens for $499. I can always buy another lens later when I know more about them and when I can use it to its full advantage. I start a beginners photography class with my cousin Tuesday (she just bought a Rebel XS)... im very excited :)

I got the package with both lenses. I felt like i wouldve regretted it if i hadnt :)

K so These pics I was just playing. This is my first time ever even using a dslr so theyre not too great.

1) Just got the camera
bgzo1s.jpg

2) My best friends baby
5e5mo6.jpg

3)
2yju2b4.jpg
Send To Phone
Send To Phone
Send To Phone

Last edited:
The first picture is actually rather good. The subject material in #2 and #3 is excellent, but you can see in them that there needs to be more light from an alternate direction. #2 might be a tad too close and #3 is cutting a body part in half!

But again, I do really really like the first one. It almost describes how excited you were with your purchase that you look up and take the very first shot as quickly as you could!! :)

Thanks for the comments! Like I said I have no idea what im doing but hopefully ill learn quick. We got tons of snow yesterday so i got some major practice today :)

Most reactions

Back