Buying Nikon Film Camera

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by iPanzica, Dec 4, 2006.

1. iPanzica

iPanzica TPF Noob!

So I have the Nikon d50 Digital SLR ... I want to buy a camera so that I can use any lens I buy on both cameras. What would the best film model Nikon camera be? I'd like it to have a self timer, and be able to shoot manualy if i wanted.

Thanks!

2. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    'Best' is a very slippery concept. It depends on the weight you use for various factors.

As an example, for me 'best' means a camera that can be used without batteries. That's #1 on my short list of features.

What you are asking is what camera is 'best' for you. Only you can answer that. I surely can't, and won't even try.

3. Michael Humle

Michael Humle TPF Noob!

If your objective is to photograh models, you will have to start with the lens. One of the finest portrait lenses Nikon has put out is the 105 F2.5.
    As far as a body goes, it sounds like you want to keep it simple...go to ebay and search for "nikon camera", you will find quite a few models offering manual, A priority and S priority. My favorite from way back in the '80s was the F3. You won't find many of these because people are still using them and don't want to sell! Good luck on your search....

4. ladyphotog

ladyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you like the F3 you can get the FA alot cheaper, it is pretty much the same camera but has one better aspect. The max flash sync shutter speed is 1/250 instead of 1/90 or so on the F3.

5. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I looked at the same issue I chose the FM2a. It only needs batteries for the meter, otherwise it's all manual. It also has a flash sync speed of 1/250. It will work with all my lenses except the "G" series and the "DX" lenses (of which I don't have any). It is built like a tank. You can find good deals on them at places like Cameta, KEH, B&H, Adorama, etc.

6. Paul Ron

Paul Ron TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buy a Nikon film camera body like the N70, N80....etc, these will all use the same AF lenses as your digital Nikon. All Nikon cameras have self timers and can also be switched to manual mode.

7. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

You have to get a camera that can set apertures electronically. Most of the new Nikkor lenses (G series) do not have aperture rings so they simply wouldn't work on an F3 or FM2. Of course the DX lenses made for digitals will vignette on a film camera so those would be out for even the later models. You need something F4 or later or N90 or later (excluding the FM's) otherwise you won't be able to use the latest lenses. My recommendation would be the F100. It has the same quality level as the F5 with less speed and is available used on Ebay for $250-$300. I think it was the best 35mm Nikon for the money made in the 1990's. Aside from my collector cameras, it is the 35mm camera I miss most.

8. ladyphotog

ladyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The FA can be used without batteries which is another reason that I love it. You also have fully auto, shutter priority, aperature priority and fully manual. I don't think mine has been off manual in all the years I have had it. It also was the first camera with matrix metering and will work with all Nikon lenses except the 'G' lenses. The metering is really great for long exposure night shots. It also has a titanium shutter. I have had mine since 1986 and have never had problems with the shutter after thousands of photos taken with it. It also has virtual mirror lockup. It really is an incredible camera. I have two F3's and still shoot with my FA more than anything 35.

9. myopia

myopia TPF Noob!

F5...the ambient light SLAVE

10. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

?