Buying off ebay...

Thanks for all the input! I actually opted to order from Ritz instead, I got a good deal with a couple of lenses. I was too nervous spending that much on ebay, I'll probably get some equipment from their tho. Shipping from Ritz is taking forever tho!

I refuse to do business on eBay anymore. You honestly have no idea who you're doing business with. The site is full of scammers. You can even fake your feedback on the site, which sucks because of how many people mistakenly put faith in this system of rating.

I refuse to do business on eBay anymore. You honestly have no idea who you're doing business with. The site is full of scammers. You can even fake your feedback on the site, which sucks because of how many people mistakenly put faith in this system of rating.

That article is from 2006. And you should always check the ACTUAL transaction instead of simply relying on simple numbers. This is not a caution unique to eBay - this is for anything. Scare mongering against eBay (and legitimate eBay sellers trying to unload old photography equipment) only hurts the free flow of used goods. And as I said - if you purchase off eBay and pay through PayPal there is no risk. I suppose its great that so many people are scared of eBay as it keeps the competition for goods low (I recently got a near mint SB800 for 215 bucks - I was the only one who bid).

There are some good sellers on ebay. One time, I got a refund from a ebay seller. And the refund included the shipping charges in both directions. Can't beat that!

Are there any bad one out there, yes, I am sure.
Of course there are good guys on eBay. The problem is navigating the mine field trying to find them amongst all the unscrupulous vendors.

The one time I had to go to eBay to resolve a dispute on an item they were less than helpful and it certainly wasn't a matter of "oh, I'm unhappy with the product just give me my money back because the seller isn't responsive". It took about a month to get closure and I don't know how many hours of my time.

Not worth it IMHO when buying something like camera gear where you can get a good price and good service from a known quantity like B&H or Adorama.

...for what it's worth. :)

I believe ebay/paypal did change their policy regarding non power seller which make scammer (usually not power seller) hard to use ebay/paypal as the tool to scam money.

Scare mongering against eBay (and legitimate eBay sellers trying to unload old photography equipment) only hurts the free flow of used goods. And as I said - if you purchase off eBay and pay through PayPal there is no risk. I suppose its great that so many people are scared of eBay as it keeps the competition for goods low (I recently got a near mint SB800 for 215 bucks - I was the only one who bid).
Just because I have an opinion based upon multiple bad experiences, not to mention some real humm-dingers my buddy had, doesn't mean I'm "fear mongering".

I'm not the only person to have been burned multiple times dealing with eBay sellers who otherwise had great ratings. Read what other people have said here, they advise caution too... why, I don't know. Perhaps they had bad deals or perhaps they're just fear mongering as you put it.

It's my opinion. If you don't agree, fine. But saying I'm a fear monger is a little unnecessary, don't you think?

I believe ebay/paypal did change their policy regarding non power seller which make scammer (usually not power seller) hard to use ebay/paypal as the tool to scam money.

Indeed. The eBay of 2006 is NOT the eBay of 2009. Depending on who you ask its either a Buyer or a Sellers Paradise these days on eBay with the "failsafes" that have been put in place. They used to offer buyer protection only up to $2000 on items (I actually had to use Buyer Protection for a D300 - got my money back in 4 days - not from the seller, but from PayPal), but now all purchases through PayPal are protected in full. I wouldn't purchase from anyone NOT using PayPal, and I believe you have to have a certain number of sells to qualify for the full enchilada protection on your auctions.

There are some good sellers on ebay. One time, I got a refund from a ebay seller. And the refund included the shipping charges in both directions. Can't beat that!

Are there any bad one out there, yes, I am sure.
Of course there are good guys on eBay. The problem is navigating the mine field trying to find them amongst all the unscrupulous vendors.

The one time I had to go to eBay to resolve a dispute on an item they were less than helpful and it certainly wasn't a matter of "oh, I'm unhappy with the product just give me my money back because the seller isn't responsive". It took about a month to get closure and I don't know how many hours of my time.

Not worth it IMHO when buying something like camera gear where you can get a good price and good service from a known quantity like B&H or Adorama.

...for what it's worth. :)

I see your point. Even if there are are new policies in ebay/paypal, if you don't feel comfortable buying stuff through ebay, BH and Adorama is really the way to go. The extra money you spend at least can buy you a piece a mind. :)

Indeed. The eBay of 2006 is NOT the eBay of 2009. Depending on who you ask its either a Buyer or a Sellers Paradise these days on eBay with the "failsafes" that have been put in place. They used to offer buyer protection only up to $2000 on items (I actually had to use Buyer Protection for a D300 - got my money back in 4 days - not from the seller, but from PayPal), but now all purchases through PayPal are protected in full. I wouldn't purchase from anyone NOT using PayPal, and I believe you have to have a certain number of sells to qualify for the full enchilada protection on your auctions.

Yes, I believe the regular seller (non power seller) cannot get any money until a set period of time and without any dispute from the buyer.

This statement has absolutely NO qualifiers in it dude, opinion or not. Thats why I labeled it as fear-mongering because someone going off this will think "Holy **** I shouldn't even sign into eBay because that might compromise me!" Cameta Camera, 17th Street Photo, Sigma4Less, Roberts Camera, etc. etc. ALL have eBay stores at less prices than BH/Adorama. Casting a blanket "No eBay!" robs someone who doesn't know any better of a valuable resource for shopping.

That's good info.

I still won't use eBay, they pissed me WAY off with their handling of things in the past. But it's good info that if you go through PayPal you're covered up to $2k.

I'll still opt for dealing with a reputable dealer given my experiences. I told you guys about my 5DMk2 story and Adorama. They totally earned my repeat business.

This statement has absolutely NO qualifiers in it dude, opinion or not. Thats why I labeled it as fear-mongering because someone going off this will think "Holy **** I shouldn't even sign into eBay because that might compromise me!" Cameta Camera, 17th Street Photo, Sigma4Less, Roberts Camera, etc. etc. ALL have eBay stores at less prices than BH/Adorama. Casting a blanket "No eBay!" robs someone who doesn't know any better of a valuable resource for shopping.
Gotcha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back