Buying Photo Equipment Online

Just depends. I'll often buy used off forums like this one and POTN, but only if there's a sizeable post count and usually pictures so that I'll feel much more secure. I don't have any problems with used gear, but when I do buy new, I buy from BHphotovideo.com. Seems to be the most reliable (or atleast the more popular), but I know Adorama is close behind. It may just be because good camera stores are hard to come by around Little Rock and stores are almost always way more expensive here.

Also, if you buy from B&H by following a link at the top of this forum, part of the money goes to the forum. ;)

Last edited:
I've pretty much bought all my camera equipment online. I do my research and read reviews. Then I go shopping for the best price amongst the reputable dealers. You just can't beat the prices you can get online.

Adorama and Amazon are always solid choices and reliable shops online. When shopping online its always best to stick to the big stores - there are a lot of deal on other sites, but many are not reliable and quite a lot (especaily in the US) are bait and switch where you phone to confirm the order at which point you find out that the battery and other bits are not included in the package and that they cost a lot extra - in the end it will cost you more and your products might all be 3rd party cheap rip offs

for 2nd hand always try to see before your buy. Even reliable L lenses can be damaged to a point where they are soft and sadly, many people do dump soft kit through 2nd hand deals. Especailly be cautious of lenses like the superzooms - canon 100-400mm and sigma options - these can suffer from soft copies very easily (compared to other lenses) and some people do offload them online.

As for prices - internet prices are nearly always cheaper than shop prices as internet stores have no overhead rates or shop rent to pay so they can afford to charge less for the same product

Almost always online, a great way to save some serious money. However I don't get my gear from shops I've never heard of, I prefer to pay a little bit more and buy from stores with a good reputation.

For me it is B&H, Amazon and, the local store. I stay away from Craigs and Egay except for minor things like screen protectors.

I've bought several high-end lenses through Craig's List, and quite a bit of stuff at the local used shop. I wouldn't buy a lens or body sight unseen (eBay), but if I can sit down with the seller, try it out, and convince myself that all is legit, I don't have a problem. That said, when buying new, I always buy from a real bricks and mortar store. There's a lot to be said for building up a rapport with the local camera shop. Try calling Amazon or Adorma and saying, "Holy ****, my battery charger just packed in it and I've got a big wedding tomorrow morning, I know you guys close in 45 minutes, but I'm an hour away, can you wait?" Let me know how that works for you. One moment like that and every extra cent you've spent suddenly becomes a good investment.

80% of my purchases are online. I never buy used either. I used ONLY known reliable vendors (like the 2 sponsors of this forum). They are always in the USA too (one exception... one order for the Cactus V2s triggers out of Hong Kong, even then, the 2nd order went to MPEX, which is out of Ohio).

I do it becuase I can make purchases a LOT cheaper online than from any local brick and mortar or internet store in Canada.

B&H and Adorama are the only online stores I use. Otherwise it is brick and mortar purchases. I do buy used, but usually only at a brick and mortar store and after I have tested the gear out. The two brick and mortar stores her that sell used are very contentious about what the buy and have no trouble letting a used piece of equipment out for a test run.

i bought my nikon d200 off ebay and it works great. But you are taking your chances buying off ebay but it can be cheaper. In stores there is really no risk but more expensive.
but saying all that i would buy more camera gear off ebay.

I've bought both bodies and a couple of lenses locally. All my on-line purchases have been with B&H and Adorama..... with one exception from a Hong Kong dealer off ebay. It was only $50 and didn't mind the loss. However, it turned pretty good.

If the local shops are within 10% of the on-line price, I buy local.

I have no local camera stores unfortunately as most of the long time ones were closing about the time I got into this. So, I can't support any local shops. Ritz is a reasonable drive, but they generally tend to only carry Canon and Nikon. Not much help to a Pentax shooter. The few times I have gone there, they never had any thing I was looking for (filters, eclipse fluid, Sensor Swabs, etc). So, B/H gets about 80% of my business. Adorama gets about 5 and Ebay gets another 15. I recently bought from Henry's through ebay though because they had the Pentax 77mm f/1.8L for $100 less than B/H. Also found a good deal on a New Sigma EX 70-200mm f/2.8 on ebay.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back