Buying & Setting up an Offcamera Flash

Ilan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm doing product photography and I'd like to set up a flash unit to light up just my background. I currently have a Nikon D3200. I will need to buy the flash and all of the other equipment. (I already have lighting from the front--I'm using continuous lighting since I also shoot videos).

What do you suggest I buy?

I'm not sure what I need to do. Do I need a wireless flash that somehow connects with my camera? Do I need a cable that connects to the flash unit? Any suggestions for cables/flashes?

Help please!

Ilan

What if I want to use multiple flashes? Do I need to buy something more than just the additional flash unit?

Thanks for the reply! At this point I'm more interested in the tech I need to buy, and then I'll figure out how to set it up properly. I need to know what to get first.

I will need to buy the flash and all of the other equipment. (I already have lighting from the front--I'm using continuous lighting since I also shoot videos).

So you're planning to mix continuous lighting and flash?

Yes. Continuous lighting for the subject and then a flash for just the background to make it white.

A workable setup is one or two inexpensive flashes that have manual power settings and a means of supporting them, a radio receiver for each flash and a radio transmitter that sits on the camera.

If your flashes have a built in optical trigger then you might get away with only one receiver.

There are many many more options and configurations. The strobist site is good place to go for information. Strobist

I currently have access to SB-800s, from my dad, but he's always used them attached to the camera. Could I use them without attaching? I would need to buy a radio received/transmitter?

The SB800 can work off camera without cables or radio triggers. They can be used as dumb flashes fired optically or as full fledged iTTL wireless off camera through your camera's flash if your camera supports commander mode. If not then the SB800 has a light sensor that will trigger the flash when your pop up flash fires. This sensor works with the infra red part of the light emitted by your pop up flash so cover the pop up with a few layers of red candy rapper and set it to lowest manual flash setting for it to not influence the exposure.

I've used SB800's off camera for years (with umbrellas and behind diffusers but I've never had one in a soft box though) and have never have one not fire indoors when triggered by my pop up in commander mode.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
TPF has a Commercial/Product photography forum.

You can buy studio strobes (more powerful than speedlights) for what it costs to buy 3rd party Chinese hot shoe type flash units.
To keep spill from the lit background off your product you need to keep the product well in front of the background.

Flashpoint 320M, 150 Watt Second AC / DC Monolight Strobe.

To make nice soft light and soft, diffuse shadow edges you also need a light modifier like a softbox or a photography umbrella.
Flashpoint 320M Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second, One Monolight Kit with 9.5' Black Light Stand and 24x36" Softbox

Flashpoint Budget Studio Monolight Flash, 300 Watt Seconds - Portrait Kit

Mixing flash and continuous lights (mixed lighting) is likely to cause a color cast because the 2 light types will not have the came light color temperature.
Unless you gel the flash units to the color temperature of the constant lights and set the camera to the white balance of the continuous lights.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why not just add more continuous lights?

The SB800 can work off camera without cables or radio triggers. They can be used as dumb flashes fired optically or as full fledged iTTL wireless off camera through your camera's flash if your camera supports commander mode. If not then the SB800 has a light sensor that will trigger the flash when your pop up flash fires. This sensor works with the infra red part of the light emitted by your pop up flash so cover the pop up with a few layers of red candy rapper and set it to lowest manual flash setting for it to not influence the exposure.

I've used SB800's off camera for years (with umbrellas and behind diffusers but I've never had one in a soft box though) and have never have one not fire indoors when triggered by my pop up in commander mode.

his d3200 can't control it off camera; only in SU4 mode.

I did mention that if his camera does not have commander functionality the flash can still be used off camera, he won't have iTTL capability though.

Since he has access to his dad's SB800's, that is his least expensive option.

Most reactions

Back