Buying Used Cams?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Pixie42, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Pixie42

Pixie42 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys! I haven't been on in awhile, life is keeping me stupid busy! How is everybody? :hug::

So- my question- I'm looking seriously into getting a DSLR. Now, I don't have a ton of money, 500 bucks max to buy a used one.

With my digi cams, they always go kaput after a year. I was talking to someone from Best Buy (yes, not the best frame of reference, I know lol) and I was wondering why my Canon A430 all of a sudden had such a slow response time. It takes a good 3-8 seconds for the camera to take the photo after you press the button. Since it wasnt a settings issue, he pretty much said these things give out after a certain amount of time and I just need a new cam.

Is the same true for DSLRs? If I get a used one, am I running the risk of having something similar happen? Maybe not the same problem, but something will be off with it?

Thanks guys!

2. DwainDibley

DwainDibley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With electronic items like cameras, phones etc. you always run the risk of software/firmware problems, so they'll always be a chance something will go wrong.

However, I've had a few cameras (often secondhand) and haven't had a problem with any of them so far (touchwood!)

With regards to your budget, you could quite easily get a Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) with the kit lens within your budget, I recently got one boxed with kit lens myself for £230 inc. postage off Ebay, which equates to about $500 :)

3. Pixie42

Pixie42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. Did you get the EOS brand new? Or used off Ebay? You know, I never thought of Ebay. I'm a little scared of Ebay lol.

I really just want a nice serious amateur cam to take some better pics than I am capable with with my P &S. Although right now mine is more like Point and shoot and wait..... and wait.... and waaaait...

4. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With D-SLR's you should know how many actuations are on the camera before you buy one. It will give you a great idea of how much its been used.

I agree with DwainDibley though, you can get a new D-SLR for that price if you look around.

5. Pixie42

Pixie42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. DwainDibley

DwainDibley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, it was bought as used off Ebay, though not sure you can find out how many actuations the Digital Rebels have had. Mine's filenames are just over 5,000, though I don't think that's a reliable way of guaging actuations as this can be reset I believe.

If unsure of buying off Ebay make sure you buy off someone with a good feedback rating, there's more chance of them being trustworthy. I've been buying/selling on Ebay now for 4 years with a feedback of nearly 850, and had very few problems.

7. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  8. three_eyed_otter

three_eyed_otter TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit