buying USED equment..

Devananda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so I very much a noob with the whole camera thing just got a nikon d80 & 18-70
looking to get a bit of a bigger faster lens. I decided to go with the nikon 80-200F2.8. would love to get the 70-200VR but it just out of my price range.

so my question is:
because I know very little about proper working lens should I buy this lens new or used?
if buying it used I can save a few hundred dollars.....but being new I may not know the lens is not working right.

and of course if buying it new I have to fork out so much more cash.

what are good questions to ask if buying it used?
what should I look for?
anything else you think I need to know..

THANKS FOR ALWAYS HELPING OUT THE NOOBS :)

I have bought most of my lenses used...so far, so good. I think part of it is buying from somewhere that offers you some sort of protection against getting screwed. EBay, for example, is usually pretty good because their rating system keeps most people honest...plus Paypal gives the buyer some protection. Or you could buy from a store with a good reputation. B&H has used equipment I believe. KEH.com is also a well know site for buying used equipment.

The good news is that the 80-200 F2.8 is most likely a pro quality lens and can take quite a bit of abuse. So chances are that even the used ones are in good working condition.

bigmike..yea that was what I was thinking..just thought I should know what to look for and what type of questions to ask . I am pretty good with ebay.
as far as pointing out the good from the bad..I the more i know about what I buying the better off I be.

You should look for flaw free glass, clean aperture blades, smooth focus, smooth zoom. Cosmetics are expensive. If it is stuff you will use regular then I wouldn't buy anything above maybe an 8.5 on a 1-10 scale.

BTW, I buy almost everything used. Buying a good quality lens used is like buying a 1 year old Lexus. It might have a minor nick here and there, but with anywhere near sane care it can last 15-20 years or more.

LWW

Most reactions

Back