Buying Used Lenses for Canon in NYC

docphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good places to buy used or refurb lenses in NYC. B+H and Adorama have a decent selection (especially the latter), but if you know of any other camera store (online or otherwise) I'd really appreciate it!

I'm a little hesitant about buying a lens off of someone on craigslist or ebay but if you have any tips for not getting screwed I'm all ears!

For eBay - you make sure the guy has a 99.7% satisfaction rating or higher with a lot of ratings (>100 usually) and you're pretty much set. For Craigslist, only buy local and only agree to pay cash on-site after you've checked the item out for yourself.

For eBay - you make sure the guy has a 99.7% satisfaction rating or higher with a lot of ratings
clear.gif
(>100 usually) and you're pretty much set. For Craigslist, only buy local and only agree to pay cash on-site after you've checked the item out for yourself.

I agree I sold on ebay and 99.9 is not hard to keep up. Every once in a while an idiot leaves a negative

I bought my 40D and my 24-105mm off of local classifieds and have not experienced any problems at all. You just have to make sure you take the time to check absolutely everything about the item to make sure its up to par. Of course you don't get the warranty and confidence of buying from BH or anything. Still your choice, but the used market shouldnt be ignored at all.

When buying for Canon you should be more hesitant due to making sure you get the right mount than getting screwed. Get the wrong mount and you dun screwed yerself. I buy glass off E-bay with some frequency, not once have I had a problem buying glass that was not explained in the auction, bodies on the other hand is a different story but, anywho. I once bought a couple lenses, one had fungus and the other a jammed aperture ring but it was noted in the auction. One of the two lenses was not replaced in my bag untill just about a month ago, I was very pleased despite the issues. What I am saying is read the auction information carefully. If the seller seems to know nothing about what they have, be hesitant but don't disreguard. Also as is standard practice with E-bay, look closely at not only seller ratings but also the feedback left by other buyers, that should tell you more than enough to make an informed decision on the auction at hand.

When buying for Canon you should be more hesitant due to making sure you get the right mount than getting screwed. Get the wrong mount and you dun screwed yerself. I buy glass off E-bay with some frequency, not once have I had a problem buying glass that was not explained in the auction, bodies on the other hand is a different story but, anywho. I once bought a couple lenses, one had fungus and the other a jammed aperture ring but it was noted in the auction. One of the two lenses was not replaced in my bag untill just about a month ago, I was very pleased despite the issues. What I am saying is read the auction information carefully. If the seller seems to know nothing about what they have, be hesitant but don't disreguard. Also as is standard practice with E-bay, look closely at not only seller ratings but also the feedback left by other buyers, that should tell you more than enough to make an informed decision on the auction at hand.

Thanks! that's some great advice. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about what to look for when isnpecting a camera so hopefully I can get a friend or someone to do it for me. As for ebay sellers, if you have any bookmarked that you don't mind sharing with me that'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Thanks! that's some great advice. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about what to look for when isnpecting a camera so hopefully I can get a friend or someone to do it for me.

Would that be inspecting bodies or glass?

Film body preliminary inspection is easy, I did a walk through on preliminary inspection of an AE-1 here some time ago. For the most part it's all the same. Check the Mirror, shutter curtain, meter focusing screen and seals.

Lenses also have a few things to check right off hand. Things like fungus, aperture blades, focusing rings, mount ware, and aperture rings.

As for ebay sellers, if you have any bookmarked that you don't mind sharing with me that'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!

That would be a negitive actually. I browse the listings with the search function for what I desire and go from there. I read everything fitting the description and choose acordingly. That said I don't think I have bought from the same seller more than once.

I have actually on more than one occation however encountered Adorama auctioning equipment with starting bids considerably lower than the price listed on their site, never bid though didn't have the money. Once they had several super telephoto FD L primes listed five and six hundred dollars cheaper. :drool:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back