buying used lenses

nabero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I decided I am going to get the canon rebel xti. I shopped around online and found a good price for body only at adorama.com. I'd like to buy a lens at the same time from adorama to keep the shipping costs (hopefully) down a bit. I found this lens:

http://www.adorama.com/US 248638.html

Seems like a good deal to me (but then again...what do I know?!)...I'm wondering does anyone have experience with this lens? Also...buying a used lens...it says it's "E" condition. Think I can trust that it would be alright? (I don't mind cosmetic blemishes..as long as the glass is clean and it works correctly).

I'd really appreciate any advice!

Cheers!

congratulations to your decision :)

I do not know much about adorama and buying used lenses over there.

But I used a similar 28 - 105 lens some years ago and was quite happy with it for the price.

Thanks Alex :) I'm really excited...I wanted to submit my order this morning to hopefully have it delivered sooner....but I'm a little *shy* when it comes to spending money and geeked out lol

Pushing that final 'complete purchase' button always seems to be a bit of a nervous rush...at least until the package arrives.

How much more is the camera with the kit lens? It's usually only $100 more, give or take. I know, you have probably read what a P.O.S. the kit lens is...but it's not that bad. The thing is that if you get a 28-105 lens...you will be missing out on the wide end. 28mm on that camera will make it hard to shoot indoors (no room to back up) and it will limit you when shooting landscapes when you want to capture the whole view...or as much as possible.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about buying used, especially from Adorama. I got most of my lenses used...and usually from less reputable places than Adorama.

How much more is the camera with the kit lens? It's usually only $100 more, give or take. I know, you have probably read what a P.O.S. the kit lens is...but it's not that bad.

The one I found is about $200 less than I was seeing everywhere else with the kit lens. I figured I could put less than that into a tad better lens (though I'm just starting out, so I don't need something completely amazing)

That's a good plan, most lenses are better than the kit..I'm just suggesting that you look at a wider lens. Maybe a Tamron or Sigma that starts at 17mm or 18mm.

That's a good plan, most lenses are better than the kit..I'm just suggesting that you look at a wider lens. Maybe a Tamron or Sigma that starts at 17mm or 18mm.

It looks like I might be buying the lens harrisoncj put up for sale...for 60$ it's something to start with and would leave me quite a bit of cash. I'll be looking into finding a deal on the type of lens you're suggesting. :)

Based upon my experience with Adorama (including purchasing two Canon L lenses last month from them), I have no hesitation in recommending the company.

Thanks canonite and dinodan...you're really putting me at ease about my purchase :sillysmi: It's a lot of money for me as a student to spend on anything...and I'm feeling more confident about adorama now :sillysmi:

Can't wait to have some shots with my new camera to share (and have torn to shreds with CC ;))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back