Buying used/refurbed photography gear w/no knowledge?

I am looking at this on my phone and I'm not sure where you're getting the 2300 frame count Kama especially since it says the folder is 700 underscore 8182 so it looks like at least 8182 frames perhaps many more.I can't really see what it is you're looking at. The best idea is to take a JPEG, the last one you shot on the camer, and upload that to one of the web-based services that offers you a shutter click count

In the photos it's under image count, i think. Not sure how reliable these websites are.

Tbh i have no idea with the 700_"8182" means it seems sort of suspicious. PRETTY PLEASE someone on the forums tell me what this means^^^

dqHJCUq.png

wgpWqKa.png

Last edited:
Nikon has allowed users to determine how they want the files to be named and how they want the files to be foldered. If you put a memory card in the camera and format it will name the card Nikon D700.

if you don't do anything it's likely that the individual folder will be labeled 700. Inside of that folder will be the final numbers-- which the user has input in
On.

It is very possible that the user/owner had two different Nikons and wanted one with low file numbers and another with higher file numbers, and began the 2333 sequence before the 8182 number.

First off is the DCIM folder, and then inside of that can be multiple folders for different cameras like Nikon d3x Nikon d2x Canon 5D, all inside of one single DCIM folder. Due to the importance of file numbering and naming, the user has options on how he wants the files to be named and/or numbered. The user can begin a sequence at the number 500 if he wants to and it's possible that happened.

It is also very possible that that D700 is indeed a barnyard find that was barely used. The key is to look extremely closely at the camera. These new digital bodies do not show paint wear the way older metal cameras did. You need to look very closely at things like the corners of the hot shoe, the threads on the eyepiece, the base plate of the camera,etc. Look at the rubber covering. if the camera has truly been used only 2333 frames it will look like it is damn near New as in new new new new. If you see any significant wear marks or dirt or dust or Gunk and you'll know the camera is not 2333 frames old, but older then that.

Please excuse my talk-to-text and Android phone.

Last edited:
Gotcha thanks again derrel so i found this thread on a diff forum D700 shutter count - extremely low! and the OP there basically has the same issue as i do.

So the file #'s such as "700_8182" DO NOT correspond with how many shutter count the dslr has (which is the interesting part because this dslr only has 2333 and how would the file # even go up to 8182 in the first place?).
I think you mention a possible situation, but from what i've read d700's or older dslrs w/16 bits automatically reset their shutter count to 0 @ 65xxx or some # like that and the file #'s only go up 9999 so that could be the reason why it's "700_8182" prolly an indication of a highish shutter count dslr.

---

Ugh dude so many mixed feelings here this is why forums are so unreliable lmao :p, i don't even know what to believe so how do i check whether it's a 16 bit unsigned integer or a 24 bit signed integer? And is like 65k shutter count even a lot on the camera anyways like 1/3 it's life?

Dude - it's not only about the shutter count. As Derrel stated earlier, check the camera for wear and tear which would definitely be present if there were 65K+ activations. Test all of the functions that you can in store and ensure they are working. If you're not comfortable buying used then pass on it and buy a new camera.

Dude - it's not only about the shutter count. As Derrel stated earlier, check the camera for wear and tear which would definitely be present if there were 65K+ activations. Test all of the functions that you can in store and ensure they are working. If you're not comfortable buying used then pass on it and buy a new camera.

Gotcha and i will look at it again tomorrow anyways and check for things you guys mentioned thanks btw for the information :). I think i'm just over reacting in the thing i just mentioned tho resetting it's shutter count coz if i can find d700's with 70k shutter count, or 80k shutter count etc. for sale i think this it was just a false alarm that people are mentioning...

D700 Final Shutter Count: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D5, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Or maybe just go to Adorama... I don't know what camera stores you're going to but why can't they just tell you what you want to know??

There have been some camera/electronic stores in some of the NY/NJ area that have been notorious for years for pulling a bait and switch and generally ripping people off - so they stayed on the move, would close up shop and reopen elsewhere. Now I don't know for sure if this is still going on, but it had been, and I don't even live there but know about it from having been a photographer for years. So go to a reputable store, especially if you're buying used.

Or maybe just go to Adorama... I don't know what camera stores you're going to but why can't they just tell you what you want to know??

There have been some camera/electronic stores in some of the NY/NJ area that have been notorious for years for pulling a bait and switch and generally ripping people off - so they stayed on the move, would close up shop and reopen elsewhere. Now I don't know for sure if this is still going on, but it had been, and I don't even live there but know about it from having been a photographer for years. So go to a reputable store, especially if you're buying used.

Yeah i guess it would be better for me to order online @ adorama go into shop @ NY and test it out and see if it like it coz i can still return it within the store.
However they don't have any d700's for sale online and do you know how cool and insane it would be to find a 2300 shutter count d700 that's 8 years old?

This is the store Le Camera & Video - Princeton, NJ it's supposedly been open for 15 years+ and i've been recommended this store by another really good shop i go to so i doubt it's shady.

Good advice ^^^ I hadn't noticed that the OP is in NJ and therefore presumably has access to Adorama and B&H - both in the Midtown area of Manhattan if I'm remembering correctly.

This is the store Le Camera & Video - Princeton, NJ it's supposedly been open for 15 years+ and i've been recommended this store by another really good shop i go to so i doubt it's shady.
Le Camera used to have a 2nd store in Cherry Hill, NJ and I wasn't particularly impressed. They were friendly enough, but their stock was pretty limited since it wasn't their main store, and used gear was basically what you see is what you get. The prices on used gear weren't anything special, and I found some issues with the one lens I was considering. It very well could have just been because their small satellite store wasn't a priority, but I figured I would share my experience.

However I did wind up going to another semi-local store called Allen's Camera in Levittown, PA (allenscamera.com). I had a much better experience there, and have purchased much of my gear there since.

So i went to the store today and spent like 20 minutes looking in every compartment/area of the camera on the exterior seems to be in good shape, also i asked the owner and he said the camera arrived just recently which is always a good sign.

There are some small specs of white dirt near a dial and some dust on the "outside" of the viewfinder eyepiece not inside it, but other then that the d700 is immaculate. Here are some pics if anyone can chime in that wud be awsome too :).

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

I totally respect your careful consideration here. If it were me I'd buy it and hope I don't regret it.

That's how I roll.

Eyepiece shutter blind control is NEW...paint has not yet worn off of it, and that is probably THE first area where a carried high-end Nikon camera shows wear. Lettering looks clean on the buttons. WB button has a couple minor dings, since that is the far side top corner of the camera, where it will get hit or hit "things". Looks good.

Yeah, bring your own card, and shoot some "real photos". See if it can focus a lens or two. See if the meter is right. LOOK at the camera...wear on the new Nions is hard to spot, compared to older film cameras. Look CLOSELY, and look for dirty areas in crevices. LEAVE and go home, and check the shutter count. Also...se what the NAME is that the camera assigns to the folder for the images.

But, shoot, return a new camera for full price? Yes, unethical.

Thanks again for information, and yeah i mean i sort of learned how to drive a manual tranny by test driving vehicles at the dealership but obviously never buying them.

In regards to ethics/morals my conscious is free because i could care less about big corp companies/businesses like they already have loads of money so... but if it was something different involving an individual then yeah i'm never going to be dishonest (just my philosophy).

I've always been fascinated by the difference in attitude that many people, me included, have relative to cheating or stealing from individuals and corporations, and how we decide who or what has enough money to make them fair game.

Most reactions

Back