buying used

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Dagwood56, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Dagwood56

Dagwood56 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was wondering if any one could tell me if there is any major risk in buying a used memory card. I have an Olympus P&S which uses smart media cards. These cards are not made any longer, but I'd like to get a 128MB. I can't afford the prices being asked on e-bay for new 128MB cards and was thinking of buying used since there are plenty being offered.

Anyone have any thoughts, advice, or experience with this?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've found that cards are pretty durable...so used cards would probably work well.

If you are just using it for snapshots, I don't see a problem. If you are taking, once in a lifetime type of shots...I'd probably recommend getting new ones.

3. Dagwood56

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate the help. The card I'm considering is listed as having been a spare and rarely used, so I guess I should be reasonably safe with that one. Thanks again.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I see a problem. There is no way to tell how many times it's been written. Flash memory has a limited life span of about 100000 cycles. Bearing in mind that this is not equal to 100000 photos, but rather 100000 writes to a certain memory location. The number of photos is usually much smaller.

Buy second hand but do so at your own risk. These cards fail with no prior warning. Brand name makes no difference here either.

5. Dagwood56

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Garbz. I have been worried that a used card might fail. This particular one is guaranteed and returnable, though I realize the cards life may be limited to working just beyond the return limit..... Thanks.