By Suggestion Of Jon Mikal

FuddyDuddy said:
Hello,

Sorry, but I don't think there anything particularly remarkable about any of these pictures. Some one e-mailed me a link to this: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12514&cat=500&page=1 earlier today. Again sorry, but I think it beats the pants off of yours.

Regards

F. Duddy

Firstly, I don't believe there is a competition going on between photographers here. This is a person attempting something that is relatively new to them and asking for constructive criticism and advice regarding their work.

Secondly, posting a link that you claim "beats the pants off of yours" doesn't strike me as a very valid form of critique, nor is it constructive. Please attempt to provide constructive criticism and/or suggestions on how to improve the photos being displayed if you intend to post further critique.

Good choice for a first post, I'm sure lots of warm welcomes will be extended your way.

I like the crop of the picture, very nice job. In regards to the one opinion against, I checked the post and I am not sure I agree with his statement. I think both photos are admirable attempts at what I would consider a very tough subject. I applaude you on this one. Oh and the beard is a bit distracting but the message is there in my opinion.

Chase said:
Firstly, I don't believe there is a competition going on between photographers here. This is a person attempting something that is relatively new to them and asking for constructive criticism and advice regarding their work.

Secondly, posting a link that you claim "beats the pants off of yours" doesn't strike me as a very valid form of critique, nor is it constructive. Please attempt to provide constructive criticism and/or suggestions on how to improve the photos being displayed if you intend to post further critique.

Hello again:)

OK here's some criticism/advice. Get closer and engage. Do modern PJs have such bad BO that their subjects all having restraining orders preventing them from being within 50 ft?:lol: You've got a press pass, take advantage!!

I posted that link cos IMO the picture is better than the one we are talking about. Is there a law against comparing one picture with another taken at the same event? Thought a link to something a little more refined might be appreciated.

F. Duddy

eromallagadnama said:
Good choice for a first post, I'm sure lots of warm welcomes will be extended your way.

Thank you, I'll look forward to that.

F. Duddy

kilifila66 said:
I like the crop of the picture, very nice job. In regards to the one opinion against, I checked the post and I am not sure I agree with his statement. I think both photos are admirable attempts at what I would consider a very tough subject. I applaude you on this one. Oh and the beard is a bit distracting but the message is there in my opinion.

Hello,

Yes, once you crop half the image off, clone that guy's nose and beard off, and sharpen it loads because it was focused on the bit you actually cropped out, it's almost not bad. Doesn't that bother anyone? Sure would bother me if I thought this was the strongest image I had captured.

Just a thought.

F. Duddy

FuddyDuddy said:
Hello again:)

OK here's some criticism/advice. Get closer and engage. Do modern PJs have such bad BO that their subjects all having restraining orders preventing them from being within 50 ft?:lol: You've got a press pass, take advantage!!

I posted that link cos IMO the picture is better than the one we are talking about. Is there a law against comparing one picture with another taken at the same event? Thought a link to something a little more refined might be appreciated.

F. Duddy

Although I find the photos you posted quite beautiful, they are not from the same event. But nice try anyway.

I think I speak for all on this board when i say NO its not appropriate for you or anyone to post some random picture to compare with someones work when :

a) you do not have the permission of the original poster

b) you are new and have not established a solid reputation on these particular forums

c) you make no sense, because the picture that you posted for comparison doesnt even come close to the one originally posted. its people standing around with some guy in your face, WHOAH!

for the sake of argument, if you disagree or agree with me in any way shape or form, drop me a PM instead of verbally crapping on this thread.

md

Ok, I've applied some additional cropping, as well as the suggested cloning and sharpening. How are we doing with this one?
kkkweb10b.jpg

Wow Cindy!! You had so many strong images from that rally that I kinda avoided this subject all day so I could wait until I got home to check them out. I really love this image because there is so much emotion in it. I would almost like to see a crop with the bearded guy in the picture because he was so emotional in one of the other pictures but now, when tensions are their highest, he doesn't seem to be phased at all. I really do like the last version of the shot as well.

On a side note, I think that all of your photojournalism pictures were fantastic...especially since they were your first attempts. Take it from someone who has been here for a while and has seen a lot of great and not so great pictures, versus someone who is brave enough to critisize your work, but too scared to compare it to their own. Keep it up and to quote Alison, "I think you've found your niche." :D

jeeze, the nerve of some, eh? wish i had seen the first post sooner....pooooof!

elsapet - i don't believe further cropping was a good idea...it's squishing an already compressed image. i would return to the second posting and clone those areas out.

JonMikal said:
jeeze, the nerve of some, eh? wish i had seen the first post sooner....pooooof!

elsapet - i don't believe further cropping was a good idea...it's squishing an already compressed image. i would return to the second posting and clone those areas out.

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone for your support. It means more to me than I can tell you. I don't know if anyone remembers my first post of a little out of focus flower, but with your help, support, suggestions, and friendship, I feel like I've come a long way. I really owe you guys on this forum so much. Thank you again.

Ok, Jon, I returned to the second with the clone and sharpening. I think I have to agree with you. The right hand crop seemed to take away from the struggle as you suggested.

kkkweb10c.jpg

Okay, now it's perfect :lol: I thought I liked the really tight crop but seeing it this way is better :) Great job with the PS work I think you've ended up with quite a powerful image here!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back