By the creek today

dustin746

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Don't have a tripod yet. Shooting with a 55-300mm lens. Trying to learn so any critique/comment is appreciated!
77a38f10b8a6ad748015f527c88ed851.jpg

f7830fedbbf2535684483f2a83d635b8.jpg

0264ebb61a89f0d8217ebc12641ec50b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having trouble getting them to show up for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah mate, can see them now.

1. Camera shake is a major issue here, so make sure your camera is supported (ideally by a tripod but a beanbag, rucksack, chair or even a nearby rock will do - just make sure your camera is stable) and put your timer on. Or make sure your shutter speed is more than 1.6 X focal length. Landscape shots are almost always better if you include elements in the foreground, middle ground and background.

2. You've seen some cool light here which is great and the short depth of field has given you some nice blurred background with cool blue tones. But the central composition makes it very static and there's no context (read surrounding stuff) and it's not abstract enough to fall into that category.

3. Again central composition and no other elements. I think these kind of overgrown/reclaimed subject works best if it's shot either wide or really close up.

4. Lighting is wrong. Light in images acts as a focal point and draws the eye, brining whatever is lighter to the front, dark recedes. In this shot the eye is drawn past your subject to the background because it's lighter. Reverse the lighting here and it would be better

5. Again central composition leads to a very static image, it looks underexposed and a bit on the blue side to me (I'm not on a calibrated monitor just now though). Another one that I think would have benifitted from either being shot wider or closer as an abstract. The lighting is flat as well, I assume that's because it was shot in the shade. Side lighting tends to work a bit better though I'm working on getting that in my own shots too just now.

Thanks for the detailed response! I agree with you. I need to work on my shutter speed/exposure a little bit. Just waiting for the weather to improve here so I can go get some more practice.

I'm shooting from far away in a lot of the images so without a tripod, it's kind of hard to get a sharp image. I gotta think about the lighting a little more, too. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back