C & C #1 :D

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jansch, Mar 8, 2010.

1. jansch

jansch TPF Noob!

Hello All,

Finally it seems I got a few settings right. At least now I'm getting clean images, or so I think. I'm attaching them below, these are just random snaps I took a while ago, and it'll be great if you guys could comment on the quality, from a technical perspective,aesthetically I think they're pretty bad, this is just to find out whether I'm working with the manual mode in a correct manner. :) I've used a Canon XSi, with the 18-55 kit lens. Before taking these, I was getting blurry images, changed a few things- switched to RAW from JPEG's, turned on the Image Stabilisation on my lens. Looks better with these changes, but still not sure. Need an opinion on the clarity of the images, etc. And secondly, if I were to take these again, how should I go about it.

[​IMG]

f- 5.6, exposure- 1/20, iso 800, focal length- 18mm.

[​IMG]

f- 5.6, exposure- 1/20, iso 800, focal length- 18mm.

[​IMG]

f- 3.5, exp. time- 1/5, iso 400

[​IMG]

f- 3.5, exp. time- 1/5, iso 400

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. jansch

jansch TPF Noob!

3. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    nevermind, you got it.
    :snip:

Images look clear now. To be honest, the subject matter isn't very exciting to me but when you take pictures in the future, notice stuff like shadows. Try multiple light sources, white construction paper (to 'bounce' the light back or in another direction), anything to make the light not cast distracting shadows like that.

4. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Your ISO is a bit high for what would be traditionally called 'clean' images.

The element you are lacking to make the photos really look clean however is light. Take the last two for example, there is a bit of backlighting causes the unsightly shadows in the front of the teapot and the lighter to be almost completely dark and devoid of any detail. Try again with something, anything, that can light up the front of the subjects a bit. Use a mirror to reflect light, a desk light or two, or even experiment with light modifiers on the popup flash such as bounce cards.

5. BekahAura

BekahAura TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree that the ISO is way too high, set up a tripod if you need to. The images will be the best quality with the lowest ISO, and your subject isn't moving so no problem there.

Maybe fool around with your white balance as well, the 4th picture is way too warm IMO, unless that was the effect you were going for.

I love the black and white, I think that was your best photo here. I'm curious, is the third picture just the fourth changed to b&w or was the color different before the transition?

I think you should take more photos of the teapot alone, it looks great in b&w.

Bekah

6. jansch

jansch TPF Noob!

Will keep that in mind. This is my first go at any form of photography, didn't really think about that. It's strange photography has soooo many variables that I'd never even thought of; which is kind of the best part about it as well.

I didn't pay any attention to light at all acutally in these; didn't know I was supposed to. I'll try using props. to alter the light conditions from now on. THanks :)

Yeah I think it is as well now that you've pointed it out. I took quite a few shots, so while putting up, selected 3-4 of those. Decided to change one to B/W mode; turns out I changed the one that I put up in colour. :p
    And thanks, I'll try more pictures of the teapot in B/W later today. :)