C&C amateurs STOP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. I know when something is too salty, too sweet, undercooked or overcooked even though I have no clue how to actually achieve a more appropriate taste, myself. Is telling the cook his meal was too salty akin to telling him how to cook or trying to imply that my skill of cooking somehow is greater than his when it really isn't even close?

x2

your going to come under a lot of flack if you keep calling amateurs lesser photographers....... amateur does not mean lesser than a pro, it means one does not get paid for their work as a regular source of income - they just do because they enjoy it. There are amateurs who can run rings round some pros with photography
This is true. I don't understand why someone shouldn't't give C&C. Even if it's not as good, someone will probably catch the mistake. Tell the person and say a better way to do it. This is a public forum. Everyone has the right the post. Most people know where they stand on photography and will put something like.

"I'm not where I want to be yet, but I like the photo. The only thing that bothers me is..." I like it when someone that is an "amateur" comes to C&C my pictures because they're learning along with me.

My 2 cents.

P.S - OP get over your ego.

Also remember that photography is an art - be the commenter a pro, amateur or just a friend with no interest in photography, the points they make and the viewpoint they work form are all personal - thus its always going to have a bit of bias - so never take any one source as gospel truth - just see it as another angle on a photo and another way of looking at things - then you have to decide if that viewpoint agrees with your own

your going to come under a lot of flack if you keep calling amateurs lesser photographers....... amateur does not mean lesser than a pro, it means one does not get paid for their work as a regular source of income - they just do because they enjoy it. There are amateurs who can run rings round some pros with photography

You are perfectly correct and I have nothing to argue about that quote, but in the forums world, and amateur is someone just starting off and requires help from more experienced people. and of course there are exceptions and usually the amateur asking for help will usually clarify how much experience they have.

You are perfectly correct and I have nothing to argue about that quote, but in the forums world, and amateur is someone just starting off and requires help from more experienced people. and of course there are exceptions and usually the amateur asking for help will usually clarify how much experience they have.
I really don't think that is true. You haven't been here long enough to judge everyone's experience level...

Here we go again ---- :lol:

My 2 cents is this - people receiving C&C need to look closely at who its coming from before getting mad about a negative comment, or applying the advice they get to their own skills or lack there of. :er:

[quote=ArntorFTL;1581439]I disagree. I know when something is too salty, too sweet, undercooked or overcooked even though I have no clue how to actually achieve a more appropriate taste, myself. Is telling the cook his meal was too salty akin to telling him how to cook or trying to imply that my skill of cooking somehow is greater than his when it really isn't even close?

I have to disagree with you here, you never tell a chef something is not cooked correctly or even hint at it. I should know, I'm married to a chef! A real master chef, not a cook. They do not appreciate being told something is wrong with a meal they cooked. :lol: Not to say some people don't still do it, but the chef doesn't like it at all.:lol:

Last edited:
no the meaning of the word in forums is just the same as it is in the outside world - the only difference is flickr calling anyone who buys an account on their site a pro ;)

As for ones asking for help that is often the reason that htey don't see many more experienced photographers helping them - if you just post a shot (or as often happens 30 shots with no connection) with no words or input or even ideas or kit then what have others to go on? they can give some basic advice, bit I never give out advice unless I know what the person is using and limited by (no point telling them all about exposure compensation when they are using a point and shoot).
IMO that is the area that newer photographers let themselves down by - by not talking about a photo. Even just noting the weather and lighting at the time of hte shot can help. Understanding what effect you are after takes more learning and experience and we all start out not really knowing what we are after (or not even knowing how to get it if we know what we are afteR) and that is something we have to grow through, but we can all post basic lighting conditions, camera gear used, basic settings and as well as any other limits (it was realy windy, I was shooting out of a moving car at the time etc..

I disagree. I know when something is too salty, too sweet, undercooked or overcooked even though I have no clue how to actually achieve a more appropriate taste, myself. Is telling the cook his meal was too salty akin to telling him how to cook or trying to imply that my skill of cooking somehow is greater than his when it really isn't even close?

I have to disagree with you here, you never tell a chef something is not cooked correctly or even hint at it. I should know, I'm married to a chef! A real master chef, not a cook. They do not appreciate being told something is wrong with a meal they cooked. :lol: Not to say some people don't still do it, but the chef doesn't like it at all.:lol:

but if people are going to do it then they should really make sure that they do so after they have eaten the last course - otherwise the next might contain little surprises ;) :lmao:

I think C&C'ing other peoples photos is part of the learning process, no matter how good or bad you are.

What difference does it make what they right? Maybe they ARE trying to be helpful. Just don't read what you don't like.
Can't we all just get along?:hug::

I think C&C'ing other peoples photos is part of the learning process, no matter how good or bad you are.

I agree - one of hte better flickr groups I am on makes you crit and comment on the 5 photos before your own - and that really forces you to have to look at and assess many different genres and workings of photos - from portrate to abstract to landscape. I have learnt a lot from that not only about other fields, but also about my own photography, my views on photography as well as areas where I have less understanding than I might think I do. Sure its all opinion but that is art..

*goes to watch transform*
Zack Arias - Atlanta based editorial music photographer » Transform :: A short film for ScottKelby.com

but if people are going to do it then they should really make sure that they do so after they have eaten the last course - otherwise the next might contain little surprises ;) :lmao:

You're joking, but I know of one instance where that was in fact the case. My husband actually did it....exlax ring a bell ? :lol: I should say that he did know the person outside the work place, not that I guess that really makes much of a difference.:lol:

Just because the message under your name says you aren't a noobie and are moving up doesn't mean it's true. Honestly, it's like putting up a painting at a gallery I don't expect that only pros show up and give you criticism or accolades.

Taking your logic one step further, you wouldn't want and compliments from an "amateur" either right? If you did that'd make you a hippocrite. So next time you get any compliments from an "amateur" I want you to tell them to stop and shut up because they don't know what they are talking about.

So if you tell somone that you think there photos are coming out bad because there d40 camera is not so good and they need to think about upgrading to a d90, and this poor soul takes your advise and spends his last dime buying a d90. what will he think of you when his pictures are still coming out bad.

Would of been better not to comment at all if you didn't know what your talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back