C&C Appreciated - Horse Photo

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tjones8611, Jan 24, 2010.

1. tjones8611

tjones8611 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Snapped this one while at the barn this morning with little time to prepare. Feedback is appreciated...is the post processing a little overboard?

[​IMG]

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Post processing does not look too bad at all to my eyes and it looks like you got a good solid capture - sharp details on the tail and mane - though a little faster on the shutter would have helped since the head has motion blur on it (and the eye is all important to get sharp in animal work).
    Compositionally it would have been better if you had some empty space on the left of the shot so that there was somewhere for the horse to move into; at the present he is moving out from the right and leaving empty space there whilst also running right into the boarder of the frame.

3. Noonz

Noonz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really love how you captured the movement in this photo. Maybe a slightly faster shutter speed would have made the horse look a little clearer, however, i think the water splash looks amazing :) well done.

4. tjones8611

tjones8611 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, from my perspective I regretted the slow shutter speed. The horses had not been moving much so I think had it at 1/200. When he he hit the creek, he took off in a full speed run. Looking at it again, I agree with more space in front. I think I was trying to get the creek and water, versus the leading space, could have been balanced better.

5. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    What mode were you shooting in for this shot? Myself I would be temped to have just shot in aperture priority mode and have let the camera select the shutter speed. In good lighting that gives the best speed possible with your selected aperture - with you having the option of raising the ISO if you need more speed.

6. Hooker771

Hooker771 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Framer!

7. tjones8611

tjones8611 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shot it with a 50mm with shutter priority at 1/200. For the moments they were still or walking slowly, the shots turned out well.

Here was another one. Ive been trying to enahnce my B&W skills recently, but I dont have much of an eye for it. I still struggle on what is considered "really good" when it comes to postprocessing and the various options available with BW.

[​IMG]

8. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    Are you using a calibrated monitor? I ask because most people these days are on an LCD (flatscreen) and they tend to run very bright - although my current screen is not the best the blacks on that horse are looking very dark - a little lighter might help a lot.
    As for modes - shutter priority is a good mode, but I would personally use it for faster speeds (if possible) when shooting animals. One never knows when they will move or note - 1/400 or 1/500 would be good rough speeds to be set to. However give aperture priority mode a try as well.

I'm also not sure about the framing on the second shot - I feel that either you want the trees cropped away more or the body of the horse - something to move the head away from being in the middle area

9. littleAngel89

littleAngel89 TPF Noob!

I really like this shot. how you can do that man?

10. tjones8611

tjones8611 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Any more feedback on the B&W version? Does anyone else feel the blacks are to strong?

11. transformed

transformed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hi there- I think the PP on the first shot is not overdone. In fact- I like it even a little more pumped up!

[​IMG]