C&C Baby shot

Ked1986

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all-just wanted some critiques for a new photo..I know the background is terrible...It was kind of an impromptu shot after a bath lol...I was just looking more for comments on lighting/focus/composition..thanks :)

IMG_0104edited.jpg

Flash looks too harsh.
And the BG is kinda distracting.

Yeah I know...I'm kicking myself over the background...I'm also getting a better lens so that I can use a lower aperture in manual mode with the crappy lighting I have so I don't have to use the flash..

Try bouncing the flash off of the ceiling with a mirror if you are using your pop-up. It worked for me until I got a SB-600.

I have a link around here somewhere about bouncing the flash if you arent familiar with it. Ill see if i can find it. Anybody else have any tips?

Uhhh I know I have to buy an accessory flash..we just spent like 700 bucks on the camera and the lens I was talking about so I was trying to hold off, but I just don't think I can get the caliber picture without it...any suggestions for an economical one for a Canon eos rebel xsi that will do that job?

Well, I'm a Nikon guy, but I bought an older Nikon SB-24 flash on ebay for 60$... It is the dinosaur version of the sb-600 but it gets the job done. Now, combine that with natural sunlight and you'll have something to work with. The best lighting in the world isn't going to compensate for the very distracting background, so be mindful of that. My advice, if you don't want to buy a background, is to put baby against a solid color background and open a window to get some light. Even without a flash, you can get pretty good shots with natural light.

I shot this with by bouncing my flash off the ceiling, with the window open for natural light, against a closed white door in my spare bathroom
Me1.jpg

Necessity is the mother of invention, so play around with it. If you want a black background, you could easily hang a black sheet. So have fun with it, seems like you have a willing model. Good luck

Good example!

He is a little trooper for me haha! I did go out and actually get backgrounds (some drops I can lay over my couch), I'll post another pic with a less distracting background tomorrow lol...I'll check around on ebay for a flash-thanks for your suggestion :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back