adversus

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.adversus.us
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well not directly of the ocean, but taken on the coast :)

I did not do much PP on these, save for some cropping here and there and the obvious B&W processing. Interested in seeing anyone's comments, critiques, or other feedback!

#1:
4411963349_ef81751130_o.jpg

#2:
4412731296_49447425ae_o.jpg

#3:
4411964431_fc43290244_o.jpg

#4:
4412732754_d7b764a213_o.jpg

#5:
4411964145_09402e54fe_o.jpg

#6:
4412732340_268ee8e96e_o.jpg

i like them, i need to dig up some that i took when i was stationed in Cali, i only had a PS nikon back then but i loved to shoot around the ocean in BW

These were all taken today around Tillamook Bay and Ocean Side in Oregon. It was nice! Warm and sunny, but really hazy which is why most of them I turned B&W.

#3 is a hard shot to compose, I have myself not learned how to shoot this type yet.

#2, I like this kind of shot, with the sun in front of the camera

4 & 5 are my favorite B&W you have here though. Maybe a touch more contrast

I think the problem with three is that everything has essentially the same tone -- it's kind of visually confusing when you first look at it. I'd like to see a bit more contrast between the driftwood logs and the sand.

One and two I like. Four, I don't really know how to feel about; it's potentially interesting but doesn't really do anything for me. I wish five was a bit sharper and I really like 6.

I think the problem with three is that everything has essentially the same tone -- it's kind of visually confusing when you first look at it. I'd like to see a bit more contrast between the driftwood logs and the sand.

One and two I like. Four, I don't really know how to feel about; it's potentially interesting but doesn't really do anything for me. I wish five was a bit sharper and I really like 6.

Regarding the driftwood, I'll keep that in mind next time I go back. I might try to tweak the contrast a bit and see if I can't get some more definition between the logs and the sand.

Six was taken right on the edge of Tillamook Bay, and the sun was reflecting off the water making the wood shine really white. I was worried it would come out overexposed, but I think it turned out well!

^ You could try it at a different time of day, as well. Sunrise or sunset might just create the shadows and contrast to make that a really compelling picture.

Good point. I'm already planning an overnight trip in the next two months or so so I can get some sunset / night shots.

KmH, very nice!

I haven't tried using borders yet. I may give that a go. What PP did you do on those by chance (just so I can get an idea of different ways to present them)?

The top one was mostly done with dodge and burn. Dodge lightens/Burn darkens. I then opened the image in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and increased the "Clarity" slider.

The second was done with 3 "Graduated Filter" adjustments in ACR, one for the sky, another for the middle third of the image, and one for the water.

The borders are done using the Image>Canvas size option on different layers with layer styles like drop shadows and emboss effects. You're not limited to black and white: this renders a double mat (one light blue, one white) with 45° window cuts and a beveled frame. I can add my signature to the mat because I made it a brush.

2-22-2010D90Misc_0007.jpg

Most reactions

Back