C&C Cats in Animal Shelter

TomBlaze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am thinking of doing some charity work to start building a portfolio. The captures below were taken of the cats through the window that faces the street. One cat in particular wanted to be the star. He kept following me casually knocking the other cats out of the way. Each time the flash went off the rest of the cas jumped but this one loved it!

Note that these shots were practice shots using my new flash (Canon 430ex2). They were all shot at 50mm, f/1.8, ISO 100. I am obsessed with little details and I like to capture them in my work. I tried 4 different techniques on 3 different images all of the same cat.

1. Color enhanced using vibrance in the RAW editor. I think too much though.

4579357039_7d63ff4992_b.jpg

2. Color desaturated by 25%. My favorite of the four.
4579990516_787c378d8f_b.jpg

3. My first real attempt at antique look. Eh. I need to work on this any tips would be appreciated.
4579991458_7d9aabe358_b.jpg

4. Black and white. Shot in color. Converted in RAW. I like the cat's curious look here.
4579358957_2363721890_b.jpg

I do most of my PP in the RAW editor and only go into PS when I want to touch up spots or isolate parts of the image for individual adjustments. In all of these I should have cloned out the eye snot now that I look at them again.

Commence the roasting. I can take it!

I don't see too much PP, except maybe in the last two, but that'll be up to the individual viewer's taste. The only thing I really have to say is the glass was dirty. Talk to the people running the shelter. Let them use the shots to get some cats adopted, and you use them for your portfolio, they should go for that.

I really like the focus on eyes and face, but I don't think the photos tell much of a story. To me, they don't convey much of the need or the precarious situation of many shelter animals. -Of course that might not have been the intention :)

To piggy back LagunaLab's comment, the images are kind of flat to me. Maybe get in closer or try to light them in a more interesting way. I think the shallow DOF is working nice. I think you should get the sepia treatment out of your system as fast as possible ; ). Imo, it rarely looks good when applied to random things and smacks of some sort of camera dial preset. Also the pairing of the 'street' typeface with the image doesn't really match the image itself or the sepia treatment.

Most reactions

Back